An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Keepers

dominicansoul

24 minutes ago, dominicansoul said:

I agree.  I just can't wrap my mind around why institutions are quick to protect the predator among them.  It doesn't happen only with the Church, but as mentioned before, several well established institutions behave this way. 

Is it because the actions are so fundamentally disgusting, vile and unbelievable that we just want to sweep it all under the rug???

Not at all.  Rarely are any of the institutions as evil as the predators.    Good minded people attempt to limit the damage of the evildoer and protect the good the institutions.  Sometimes they err and refuse to admit it.

Shiningstar
On 5/22/2017 at 1:45 PM, dominicansoul said:

I guess that's the belief of others outside the Church, but coming from a devout Catholic as myself, these scandals have not decreased my Faith at all.  I truly believe it is the Church founded by Christ.  Nothing could rattle that belief in me.  

I've been disappointed in the way people have handled it, but my Faith is intact.  My Faith doesn't depend on whether or not a person sins or scandalizes or does anything.  My Faith is centered on Jesus Christ who is still the Center of the Catholic Church regardless of the sins of church people.  

I look at it this way:  Jesus had 12 apostles.  One of them was a scoundrel, a thief and a betrayer who went out and committed suicide because he despaired of God's mercy.   Would I leave Jesus because of the sins of Judas?  No, never!

"Woe to the world because of scandals. For it must needs be that scandals come: but nevertheless woe to that man by whom the scandal cometh."  These are the words of Jesus.  He knew such scandals would occur.   

That said, I really don't blame others for generalizing the entire Church and priests as, like you pointed out, they do Muslims with terrorism.  It doesn't really bother me that people are outraged and hate us because of these horrible deeds.  The people involved deserve the criticism, and I think the Church as a whole has to suffer the consequences of these horrific crimes.  

I must say your continuing faith is admirable, but I can't say mine wouldn't waver. I just cannot wrap my head around the coverups. Furthermore, celibacy, I believe, has zero to do with the sexual abuse because abuse is about power, and the fact that people attempt to blame a lack of sex on sexual abuse of minors is just as despicable. If someone is so inclined to abuse then they will. If the church as a whole would honestly and legitimately admit that they have been covering up these abuses then I would have more respect. But when it continues to happen, it's a little hard to maintain such respect for the institution. It just sickens me that so many children are abused by people who claim to be godly. I can't imagine what kind of torture and confusion that would cause.