An Old School Catholic Message Board

Mother Philomena, OCD, from the Carmelite Monastery of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, Miri

graciandelamadrededios

graciandelamadrededios

Carmelite-Mother-Philomena-web.jpg

CARMELITE PRIORESS: MOTHER MARY WAS RESPONSIBLE FOR MY VOCATION

Mother Philomena, OCD, from the Carmelite Monastery of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, Miri Mother Philomena, OCD, from the Carmelite Monastery of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, Miri

MIRI — “I entered the Order of the Discalced Carmelite Nuns in 1987, after working for five years as a primary school teacher” said Mother Mary Philomena, prioress of the Carmelite Monastery in Miri.

The Carmelite Monastery held an election on 29 July and Mother Philomena was re-elected prioress for a three-year term. This is her second term.

“Since I was very young, even when I was attending Cardinal Vaughan Primary School in Song, I had experienced a deep desire within me to become a Sister,” said the soft-spoken and demure Mother Philomena. “At that time I didn’t even know the word ‘religious Sister’ and its meaning. I used to pray alone in St Herbert Church, in front of the statue of Mother Mary. So with confidence I say, Mother Mary was the one greatly responsible for my vocation”.

Mother Philomena grew up in Song, the youngest daughter of John Imak ak Tuloi and Anna Jerama ak Jemat who were farmers. “I have five sisters and I am the youngest” said Mother Philomena. “They love me very much even before I became a Carmelite Nun. And now their love for me is doubled”.

Being a prioress comes with great responsibilities. Mother Philomena is responsible not only for the Sisters’ physical well-being but also for their spiritual need and growth. “This is of course beyond my ability to know and to tackle, but I entrust each and every one of them totally to Mother Mary’s loving care,” said Mother Philomena modestly. “She knows each one of them and since she is full of grace, she would guide them with her unfailing help”.

As a Carmelite community spiritual growth is strengthened through participation of annual retreat and monthly community retreat.

“Community life is a great paradox. You get your sanctification within the community, if you surrender and accommodate yourself to the Carmelite ways and customs of each community. If you are not able to do so, you won’t be able to withstand the community life,” said Mother Philomena. “We shared the joy and sorrows of each other”.

“Our mission is to pray for the Church, for the Pope, the Bishops, the priests, all the faithful and also for those who haven’t got any knowledge of religion or God,” said the Prioress.

Lack of vocation is one of the challenges faced by the newly re-elected prioress. She hoped that through prayer God would bring in more vocations. To the new vocations she encouraged them to submit willingly and to take instruction readily for she believed “when you submit to simple thing, God will use you for greater thing”.

Sophia Soo

- See more at: http://www.todayscatholic.com.my/2015/08/carmelite-prioress-mother-mary-was-responsible-for-my-vocation/#sthash.y1pK7Tcf.dpuf

graciandelamadrededios

This monastery is one of the very few 1990 Carmel in Asia.  The closest are two Carmels in Taiwan, following a hybrid Constitutions.