An Old School Catholic Message Board

Plan for Nursing School

OnlySunshine

OnlySunshine

After much anxiety and worry, I finally decided to just let go and let God reveal His plan to me about nursing school.  Today, I got a crystal-clear plan in mind which will probably take about 2 years to complete - maybe a little longer by a few months.  I need to complete prerequisites - there are 3 of them - starting in the Fall.  I plan to complete Human Anatomy & Physiology I by itself to kind of ease myself back into school since it will be about 2 years since I graduated when I start.  Then, if I feel comfortable, I'll take A&P2 and Microbiology together.  If not, I'll take them in separate semesters.  I am set on applying to my alma mater for their Accelerated 2nd degree BSN program since I'm a prime candidate with my GPA at graduation being at 3.80.  Doing really well on the last 3 courses will even further my chances.

The scary part comes next - after applying and being accepted for nursing school, I plan to put in my resignation at my current job because I don't feel it's feasible to keep daytime hours during the week while attending school since most classes occur during the daytime and there are necessary clinical hours.  I plan to get a PT or PRN job - possibly on-campus since I worked there before I graduated in the VP's office for about a year.  I am also thinking about renewing my CNA skills and license and working PRN thru an agency or home health office.  I still plan to move to my apartment this year and pay for rent using money I am saving up as well as applicable scholarships and financial aid.  I will need to be on a strict budget, but I think this is the best option for me because I need a quiet place to study - I'm also older than most students at 33 (I'll be 34-35 when I enroll) - so living in a dorm is not a good move.

Please say some prayers that this plan will work.  It is a bit scary to be going in a different direction, but I am sure this is the right move. :)