Exhausting prayer routine

Guest Matt

Guest Matt

For the past few months I have been following this routine:

15mins morning prayer and read Scripture 

Regina coeli 6am/noon/6pm

1hr 50 mins afternoon prayer 

9pm Lectio 

This routine has been physically and mentally exhausting for me. It leaves me little time and energy for meditative prayer (not to mention other responsibilities). One of my problems is that I add new prayers and litanies to my routine often. My goal is to start doing 60 minutes of vocal prayer each day, but it takes me 45 minutes to pray the Rosary. I  want to  pray the rosary every day, but then I would have little time for other prayers. I'm not really sure which prayers/litanies I should prioritize over others..

Find a real life spiritual director. A saintly priest is likely the best choice, but that is not necessary. St. Theresa of Avila says that all is required is that they be a faithful theologian.

Speaking as a practical Benedictine, if I were to drop something it might be that 2-hour afternoon prayer. Duh. Even most Monks do not do a two-hour stretch.  

I suggest you pick up daily Mass if possible, perhaps instead. Even if not instead, just drop it. 

Sometimes, even perhaps most times, doing the lesser good is not doing evil. 

Also, a retreat at a monastery might be in order for you too. 

Finally, St. Paul tells us to "Rejoice Always, never cease praising." St. Jose Marie Escriba says we do this when we offer up all we do with the intention of it glorifying God. 

CatherineM

I second the suggestion of getting a spiritual director. If I spent that much time in prayer, I wouldn't have time to brush my teeth.