An Old School Catholic Message Board

Bandwidth exceeded/Phishy tag meaning

BarbTherese

BarbTherese

1 - Over the last few days, Phatmass has been down with the error message that bandwidth was exceeded.  What causes this to happen please specifically where Phatmass is concerned?

2 - Also, is the "Phishy" tag still used on Phatmass - and what exactly does it mean?

While Phatmass was down with the exceeded bandwidth, I asked the question over in CA as what bandwidth exceeded actually meant - the thread to me has unfolded somewhat off course than my opening question. 

HERE

Yes, they have been, Jack, in general terms.  Not being aufait with computer matters, I wondered if exceeding bandwith on Phatmas was something peculiar and unique to Phatmass as my OP in this thread states and I wondered if it might be due to number of images and gifs posted - however, having sent an email to dUSt on Sunday 28th May (Sth Aussie time) posing the question and not receiving a reply to date, I am presuming only at this point that images and gifs might not be the problem.

With the "phishy" tag, the subject came under discussion on CA well before one of the CA members found the link to definitions of the various tags and posted the link into the CA thread and after I had posed the question in my OP here.  The definitions are located HERE

All done and dusted :) 

1 - Just to check I am correct (or not)..........the thought has occurred to me that since I access Phatmass a few times during most days, does that mean every time I access this site, it uses up bandwidth?  To put things differently, what exactly has caused Phatmass to recently exceed bandwidth?  Perhaps only dUSt can answer that, I wouldn't know.

2 - Also, can posting images and gifs use up bandwidth?

3 - If dUSt must increase bandwidth on Phatmass, I am presuming that means extra cost to him?

Sorry y'all. I don't know why, but for some reason there was a bandwidth limit set on phatmass.com, but not on the other websites hosted on the phatmass server. That doesn't make much sense since phatmass is the main site. I took off the bandwidth limit so it shouldn't happen again. We are not in danger of exceeding the overall bandwidth allowed on our server's plan, so please don't worry about that.

With that said, it does take $50/month to keep phatmass running, which is like .00000001% of Catholic Answer's budget, hahaha. So if you feel so inclined: http://www.phatmass.com/donate/

Pheww - Thanks heaps dUSt  :)  I am so inclined but it will be the widow's mite again.  Widows' mites can all add up sometimes.   Will access my budget and the donate link as soon as I can.