An Old School Catholic Message Board

Philosophy Prof at Lovain U. Investigated for Pro-LIfe Lecture

Luigi

I've heard of the University of Louvain in Belgium for a long time - I know it's been around for centuries. But I don't know anything about it, really. Is it sponsored by a diocese? Or a religious order? 

https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/i-am-not-afraid-prof-facing-investigation-by-catholic-university-for-callin?utm_source=LifePetitions+petition+signers

Actually there are two universities that separated from being once united as the centuries old State (Rijk/Catholic) University of Louvain (having a very complex past of State's and Bishops' conference's founding fathers and several movers) in the sixties due to ethnic tensions in Belgium (French vs. Flemish).

So today there is the KU Leuwen (Katholieke Universiteit Leuven), Flemish speaking, and the French speaking Université catholique de Louvain (UCL), about half of the size of the KU and shifted to Louvain-La-Neuve outskirts.

As customary in Belgium, the KU is about 65-70% government funded, the UCL about the same, both via Federal government and via the respective French and Flemish community government.

Most what one hears is about the KU, not the UCL, but the case mentioned is UCL related. And, what several media do not state clearly, Mr. Mercier was on a temporary contract at the UCL that was ending in September anyhow, without right or guarantee (and maybe not even probability, who knows) to be prolonged.

If he was speaking solely from philosophy, as he says, was he willing to be countered as wrong?

And was the university willing to let a debate happen?

IMO those are the questions.

LifeSiteNews tends to be sensationalistic in their reporting, there's usually another side to the story. 

Well look at that, I hadn't even read the other replies yet, but it seems LifeSite gonna LifeSite.

Edited by Amppax

On ‎6‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 9:01 AM, Amppax said:

LifeSiteNews tends to be sensationalistic in their reporting, there's usually another side to the story. 

Well look at that, I hadn't even read the other replies yet, but it seems LifeSite gonna LifeSite.

I did not know this. I don't read that site regularly. Thanks for the insight.