An Old School Catholic Message Board

A New Analogy for the Trinity

Luigi

Yes, teachers have to start somewhere, but not with heresy.  How about with legitimate Church teaching on the Trinity.  There is a great book called the Baltimore Catechism no. 1 which deals with this...but so does no. 2, as well.

Just sayin'....

Jubilate Deo

You could use the analogy of water. Water can be a solid, a liquid, and a gas, but they're all water at their core, with three separate and unique states (ice, simply water in and of itself, and vapor).

There's also the concept of time. You have time itself with three states: past, present, and future. These are all unique, but also all have the 'substance' of time.

It is definitely tricky to explain the Trinity. Even typing this out, I had to avoid words like 'manifesting' or 'forms,' because that sounds like the modalist heresy, where there is the concept of one God who will manifest Himself in one of three ways instead of each person being both distinct and fully God.

Edited by Jubilate Deo

9 hours ago, Jubilate Deo said:

You could use the analogy of water. Water can be a solid, a liquid, and a gas, but they're all water at their core, with three separate and unique states (ice, simply water in and of itself, and vapor).

There's also the concept of time. You have time itself with three states: past, present, and future. These are all unique, but also all have the 'substance' of time.

These analogies have their faults too. 

16 hours ago, Cam42 said:

Yes, teachers have to start somewhere, but not with heresy.  How about with legitimate Church teaching on the Trinity.

To me, it's unthinkable that small children be thought about "ousia" and "hypostatis".

I'm going to look at what the Catechism / Magisterium says as well as what our Faith Formation books for our children from Sadlier says.  I think we're trying to have a concrete scientific explanation for something that is one of the mysteries--not that it's mysterious, but accepted by faith.  We all know that if science can't explain it, then of course, it doesn't exist.....LOL.  Ben Watson, the Raven's Tight End was on TV this morning and coincidentally brought up the Trinity.  It was lovely to hear him speak about his faith. 

16 hours ago, Jubilate Deo said:

It is definitely tricky to explain the Trinity. Even typing this out, I had to avoid words like 'manifesting' or 'forms,' because that sounds like the modalist heresy, where there is the concept of one God who will manifest Himself in one of three ways instead of each person being both distinct and fully God.

That's what I was asking above, can the Catholic God be said to have form? What does St. Paul mean by "form" in Philippians 2:5-8:

Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, but emptied himself, taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men. And being found in human form he humbled himself and became obedient unto death, even death on a cross.

7 hours ago, Makarioi said:

Ben Watson, the Raven's Tight End was on TV this morning and coincidentally brought up the Trinity.  It was lovely to hear him speak about his faith. 

And where did Ben Watson start his career? You are correct sir, in New England.

How about this analogy for God: the Patriots have the greatest quarterback ever, greatest coach ever, greatest owner ever. However you slice it, the Patriots are the greatest, and so is God. Even St. Athanasius couldn't disagree.:nun2:

On 6/16/2017 at 9:15 AM, Jack4 said:

These analogies have their faults too. 

To me, it's unthinkable that small children be thought about "ousia" and "hypostatis".

First off, why?  I would rather that my 7 year old nephew understand properly, than to be complicit in heresy.  But......

What does the Baltimore Catechism teach about the Trinity?  I'm pretty sure that millions of kids learned about their faith from those CBP Classics.  Which btw, still sell like hotcakes.... 

On 6/16/2017 at 0:56 AM, Jubilate Deo said:

All things speak of the glory of God--- I love how God has stamped clues about himself  In his creation. It's like an artist hiding his signature all over his painting.

One of my favorite analogies of the Holy Trinity is the universe. One universe:  space, matter, time. And the cool thing is that each of these can be analogies: height, width,  depth; mass, weight, density; past, present, future.

Ohat's what I was asking above, can the Catholic God be said to have form? What does St. Paul mean by "form" in Philippians 2:5-8:

On 6/16/2017 at 5:49 PM, Era Might said:

And where did Ben Watson start his career? You are correct sir, in New England.

How about this analogy for God: the Patriots have the greatest quarterback ever, greatest coach ever, greatest owner ever. However you slice it, the Patriots are the greatest, and so is God. Even St. Athanasius couldn't disagree.:nun2:

Now that definitely sounds like a heretical analogy. The Patriots are the antithesis of God and Tom Brady is the antichrist....a twisted caricature. LOL

21 hours ago, Seven77 said:

Now that definitely sounds like a heretical analogy. The Patriots are the antithesis of God and Tom Brady is the antichrist....a twisted caricature. LOL

The world needs more Joe Gibbs.

Gibbs_Joe_Action_180-220.jpg?607

Edited by Era Might