An Old School Catholic Message Board

obligation to vote?

sr.christinaosf

sr.christinaosf
The Catechism states that we are morally obliged to exercise the right to vote in keeping with "submission to authority and co-responsibility for the common good."
However, I wonder if this is universal.
What about cases that do not involve moral issues?
We are having a city measure voted upon tomorrow as to whether a city park should be preserved or may be eliminated for the creation of a housing development.
I am going to be out of town part of the day and also am not able to drive due to a vision impairment. 
Getting over to vote would be a challenge for me.
Does anyone have insight from Church teaching as to whether the obligation to vote really exists in such a case?
Thanks.

Were it me, Sister, I would ask my pp.  You posted 8 hours ago and you may have decided by now about what to do.  If you haven't and if your pp is unavailable for some reason, I would be phoning my diocesan offices for advice.

We are certainly not obliged to do the impossible; however, you state you would be "challenged" and I guess it would depend on just how challenged you would be.  The issue of whether a park should be retained or replaced by a housing development probably is some kind of moral issue.