An Old School Catholic Message Board

Let's Share Memories

BarbTherese

BarbTherese

What are some memories that just stick in the mind and won't go away far at all.

The one that has occurred to me just now is the days pre V2 when we would give each other holy pictures with something like IWPFYA (I will pray for you always) on the back - long before text and computer language became known.  Not even the wildest imagination dreamt of what lay ahead with IT.  

How did we know what the letters on the back meant.........we just did, it was the 'holy language' of the day on holy pictures around the time of late childhood into one's teens.  It was a great honour to receive a holy picture from a peer with these initialisms (new word for me, never heard of it!)........of course, back then we were all of us the very holy 'unholiest' you could come across.

Cmon - share your memories!

Here's another of mine.  A boy in my primary school a year behind me regarded himself as tough and I guess he was in one way.  I was told at school that he intended to call into The Church after school go and stand in front of the altar and sing "The Pub With No Beer".  That got my ire going, really got it going.  After school (walking home I always passed our parish Church) sure enough there he was standing before the BLessed Eucharist singing that song. 

I grabbed him my the hair dragged him outside and gave him a thorough hiding and I won!

Not recommending such behaviour of mine as a means to conversion of life of the other:boink: - as so very proud of myself as I was!

NExt time at some point, I'll relate how at round about 7 yrs of so, I denied my Faith and gave poor Father a terrible time in Confession.:mad:

What are your fond memories?

littlebell

When I was a child, my mother and I would travel to Erie, PA and stay with and visit my grandmother for the month of August. Each afternoon, my mother and I would leave my grandmother's apartment and go for a long walk while grandma took her nap. Mom and I would  pass a Catholic religious goods store and I would always stop and look in the display windows at the beautiful statues, rosaries, and other items. I wanted all of them! I was so happy when I received a Blessed Mother and Infant Jesus statue I had seen in the window for one of my birthdays! One Christmas, I got a lovely cross necklace I had admired.

Recalling this brings tears to my eyes... My mother was not Catholic, (dad was Catholic) but she insisted that I attend Mass every Sunday with my father and made sure I went to Catholic grammar school. Giving me those presents from the store we passed every day on our walks was another way she supported my growing up in the Faith.

DominicanHeart

My former Pastor gave so many good sermons. They all kind of stuck in my head. One of my favorite ones is at the beginning of every school year he would say the children are walking on a tight rope and sometimes they slip and fall. But the graduating class always made it to the very end. It was a great lesson for them. He always holds attention well when he preaches. 

CatherineM

My memories can be a real jumble since my head injury. I've got lots of gaps and things that are now out of place. For example, lots of stuff that happened in grade school I seem to remember as all happening when I was ten. 

Some things really stick out though. When I was a teenager, I rode in a school bus full of other teenagers and a load of caged chicken all the way to Guatemala. I got to meet a priest from our diocese who was later martyred and will soon be beautified. He seemed so ordinary at the time. Typical Oklahoma farm boy. Wish I'd taken more time to talk to him.