An Old School Catholic Message Board

Beautiful Carmelite Video/Wolverhampton UK

BarbTherese

BarbTherese

Carmel - Wolverhamptom UK

"Life in Hidden Light"

A lovely video from Wolverhampton.  One of the nuns looks almost a double to me of Elizabeth of The Trinity and I would not miss the interview with the older disabled nun for the world (towards the end of the video).  I really loved to the way she asked questions and challenges the camera man too or whoever was recording the video - and without holding back.

It is a beautiful example too of how the elderly are cherished and valued in monastic religious life.  Don't know much at all about the active religious orders really and those advanced in age.

Overall not a great deal in the video is spoken.  Despite that I really liked it.  I could feel the Silence myself and it brought back some memories (not Carmelite) - especially the trouble I had with the Divine Office and other group prayers with the quite gentle and extremely slow pace maintained by the nuns.  I would keep perfect pace sometimes and then loose concentration on it altogether.  But one really has not lived until joining in monastic recreation times......great spontaneity and Joy, senses of humour, the funny and the absurd.........and anything BUT a gentle and extremely slow pace.....in the main.

• 2 weeks later...

I showed this to my son and every once in a while he looks at me and says "About the world?" And I reply, "It's a MESS!"

5 hours ago, Filumena said:

I showed this to my son and every once in a while he looks at me and says "About the world?" And I reply, "It's a MESS!"

rotfl  How old is your son?

I very much agree with the fact that the world is a mess.......but not without Hope for a better world one day as guaranteed.  Watched a video a few nights ago on the middle ages and the plague - I thanked God I did not live back then.  Compare the middle ages to today where health is concerned and we have improved.  Not so at all (far worse) on some other scores.

The world is in a dreadful mess, but not a time to run from it..........rather to get down on one's knees and stand up rolling up one's sleeves.  I am in the Laity.

I do think that the disabled elderly nun's understanding of why the world is in the mess it is - is spot on!  She is truly a Joy and entrancing, lovable and wise as the best of apple pies and cheesecakes......or whatever always grabs your fancy you just can't resist. 

Edited by BarbaraTherese

My son is 22 and is discerning a vocation. He says it just like her and I reply just like her. I love love love that elderly nun and he knows it.

I also love how the younger sister nods her head and mouths the words softly so the older nun can understand her. It's such a loving moment and is so beautiful.

How wonderful for you both to share something very special - and prayer for you and your son  and his discernment.

The video part with the elderly nun is indeed wonderful and beautiful from every angle.  Goes to show too that one can evangelize even when quite elderly and disabled, confined to a bed - The Lord provides.  I just bet all in her community absolutely love and treasure her.

Did you notice the physical resemblance of the young nun talking to her to another Carmelite, St Elisabeth of The Trinity?  The elderly in monastic life do have a special place in the community.

Image result for st elizabeth of the trinityST Elizabeth of The Trinity

4 hours ago, Filumena said:

I love love love that elderly nun

Me too!  I have now seen that video twice and that wont be the last time I know.

"They let the world drive Him out".........telling statement worth pondering.  Who is the they that let the world drive Him out?

"You are the salt of the earth and if salt looses its taste, it is good for nothing but to be trodden underfoot".