An Old School Catholic Message Board

For My Grandfather with Alzheimer's

OnlySunshine

OnlySunshine

My grandfather was diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease in 2010 and his symptoms have become increasingly severe.  He has been losing more ADLs as well as falling regularly.  Last night, he fell out of bed and hit the dresser, breaking his shoulder.  He was taken to the hospital where they had to set his shoulder under deep sedation because he gets agitated very easily now.  My aunt, who is a hospice nurse manager, contacted the hospice and had him transferred to a short-term hospice facility while my mom's family figures out what to do.  Unfortunately, I predicted this having worked in a dementia care facility for my internship and learning quite a bit about what happens in dementia.  The worst part about this is that usually a catastrophic fall means that the end is near because the brain is changing so rapidly and deteriorating to such an extent that falls are a usual thing.  Please say some prayers.  Because of the fall and the change in environment, I wouldn't be surprised if, in the next month or two, he quickly declines.  He needs to be put in a memory care facility - probably a skilled nursing unit - so 24-hour surveillance is available.