An Old School Catholic Message Board

how do you like your eggs in the morning?

little2add

breakfast eggs  

20 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Credo in Deum
On 7/5/2017 at 4:40 AM, little2add said:

Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Eating a nutritious breakfast sets the tone for the day and promotes weight maintenance and weight loss by maintaining blood glucose levels and your metabolism.

It's a myth, breakfast isn't really that important.

"In summary, we conclude that neither overall energy intake nor physical activity is different in obese individuals fasting during the morning or consuming a daily breakfast for 6 wk. However, differences in the distribution of physical activity throughout the day were apparent, with lower physical activity during the morning in response to fasting. Resting metabolic rate and blood lipid profiles were not differently affected by breakfast or fasting, although there was some evidence of breakfast omission reducing insulin sensitivity. Furthermore, regular daily breakfast did not facilitate weight loss."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4763497/

Edited by Credo in Deum

17 hours ago, Credo in Deum said:

It's a myth, breakfast isn't really that important

Your mom was also right when she told you breakfast was the most important meal of the day.

This poll should have clarified between scrambled soft or scrambled hard. I like soft scrambled eggs, but do not like dry overcooked hard scrambled eggs.

OnlySunshine

Over medium - I usually say over-easy when I'm at a restaurant because I've gotten hard yolks and I like runny, but not too runny.  I make them at home where they ooze but not so messy that it's hard to run bacon or GF bread through (I don't want eggy "soup").  :)

Nihil Obstat

Sunny side up with salt and pepper on a toasted sourdough English muffin, with butter, a bit of melted cheese, a tiny bit of mayonnaise, a few pieces of avocado, and crispy bacon. My wife and I have that as breakfast for dinner on days that we cannot think of anything more creative. Very filling.

Might I mention how "American" a question like this is? I felt so stupid when I went to Florida and got breakfast and didn't know how to answer. I replied "cooked" and the waitress laughed at me, and I had a chuckle too because it goes to show how ignorant we non-Americans can be too. Since then, I have discovered the delight of a 'sunny side up' egg on buttered toast.

THANK YOU AMERICA!

13 Things That Happen To Your Body When You Eat Eggs

There’s a reason people call it the incredible, edible egg. This powerhouse food is a healthy protein option that is versatile enough to be enjoyed at breakfast, lunch, dinner or as a healthy snack. This no-sugar, no-carb food is relatively low in calories and packs quite a filling punch.

If eggs don’t rank among one of your top 10 health food choices, keep reading to check out how eggs benefit your body, and you may be singing a different tune when you’re done.

1. Eggs give you a boost of energy: One whole egg contains 6 grams of high-quality protein and only 70 calories. Pair two eggs with a half cup of oatmeal for a low-calorie meal that’s filling and balanced.

2. Eggs improve liver function: Each egg contains a healthy dose of choline. Choline, a macronutrient, helps increase your metabolism, transports vitamins and minerals and improves liver function.

3. The cholesterol in eggs don’t affect blood cholesterol the way you think it does: Remember that rumor that you shouldn’t eat whole eggs because it’s too fatty? It’s false (for most people). According to Authority Nutrition, your liver already produces cholesterol. When you eat eggs regularly, your body naturally starts producing less… sort of.

4. Eggs increase HDL (the good cholesterol)
High-Density Lipoproteins (HDLs) reduce the risk of heart disease and stroke. Commonly referred to as healthy cholesterols, you can increase the level of HDLs in your body by regularly consuming eggs.

5. Eggs can help the eyeballs: In addition to protein, eggs contain high levels of Lutein and Zeaxanthin antioxidants. Studies have shown that these nutrients help build up your retina and reduce the risk of cataracts and macular degeneration.

6. Eggs can help you eat less: Eating eggs for breakfast can help you eat less throughout the day. The high amount of protein place eggs high on the list of satiating foods.

7. Eggs are gluten and carb free: If you can’t have gluten or you’re on a special diet for diabetes, eggs are a great way to get your protein. It should be noted though, that some studies show that eggs may increase the risk of heart disease in people with type 2 diabetes.

8. Eggs protect your bones: Eggs have more Vitamin D than ever before and this can help protect your body from osteoporosis.

9. Eggs may reduce your risk of cancer: Choline, that same macronutrient that helps your liver function, may also reduce the risk of breast cancer in women, according to Women’s Health. (Note: You’ll find choline in the egg yolk, not the whites. So don’t shy away from the whole eggs!)

10. Eat eggs for better muscles: Weight-lifters chug protein shakes like it’s going out of style because they know protein is essential for faster muscle repair. Nosh on a few eggs after a workout to make muscle building easier on your body.

11. Eggs are pregnancy friendly: If the smell and texture of eggs don’t make you queasy while you’re carrying a little one, keep (pasteurized and completely cooked) eggs a part of your diet. Two whole eggs contain 250 milligrams of choline. Doctors recommend that pregnant and breastfeeding women consume between 450 to 550 milligrams per day. Choline aids in brain development and helps prevent birth defects.

12. Healthy hair, healthy skin: Eggs contain a B-complex vitamin called Biotin. This vitamin helps your body metabolize fats and carbs for energy. As an added plus, biotin can improve your hair, nails, and skin!

13. Brown eggs and white eggs are basically the same: As a final note, there’s no need to worry about whether you should get brown eggs or white eggs. Seriously. Brown eggs come from bigger chickens with red ears and white eggs come from smaller chickens with white ears… that’s the biggest difference, according to Dr. Jockers.
Know a friend who needs to eat more eggs?

• 1 month later...