An Old School Catholic Message Board

Nun (modern) dress code?

knightowl

Hello. I am a woman discerning a vocation to potentially become a religious Sister.

As a woman of pretty petite stature, I prefer skirts that come above my knees, only slightly. (I value modesty, too!) But since I am discerning a vocation with an active Congregation that does not wear habit, I was wondering about what clothes I would have to give up if I were to enter the convent. 

I know every Congregation has different rules. I have seen Sisters in the Congregation wear knee-length skirts. But in general, do the rules have statement about skirt lengths? What about other debatable things (e.g. sleeve-less tops)? Number of pieces of garment?

I wouldn't mind wearing midi-length skirts all the time, if that's God's will. But I just wanted to know!

Edited by knightowl

There is no modern dress code. Nuns don't worry about stuff like "this skirt is a bit too long and makes me look dumpy." Each community has its own requirements as to dress, however you will not find many (any?) that regularly wear sleeveless shirts. 

OnlySunshine

Even though the order you are discerning does not wear a habit, modesty is required in religious communities.  Most I've seen wear long skirts/pantaloons with a dress shirt (usually button-up or blouse style).  If this is something you're wondering about, it would be best to discuss the dress code with the community in question closer to the time you plan to enter. :)

Yinepu Sanctimonialis

Dear Knightowl...Every religious order/community has their own unique Holy Habits...But I guess the vocation should not be about the dress code.  :) 

Edited by Yinepu Sanctimonialis

• 8 months later...

If you are entering a congregation, by all means ask if they have a dress code - as some do for professional reasons.  But what clothes you would have to give up should not influence which community you enter. I well remember, when some Sisters who previously wore religious garb were able to choose their clothes as they wished, some found this to be quite a distraction - trying to show how stylish they could be.