An Old School Catholic Message Board

Youth / Young Adult (Up to 40) Event in DC – July 22, 2017

Seven77

There is an event called World Youth Day Unite taking place at the St. John Paul II Shrine in DC on Saturday, July 22. Speakers. Music by Audrey Assad and Tony Melendez. Adoration. And I think a Vigil Mass. Oh yeah, food trucks!

https://www.wydunite.com/event-details/

I went to the one last year.

Anyone else going?

1 hour ago, Seven77 said:

the St. John Paul II Shrine

What's the shrine like. Is it new?

@Era Might

Not too many people know about it because its kind of hidden and it's across the street from the more prominent Basilica of the National Shrine.

It used to be the Pope John Paul Cultural Center, a kind of museum showcasing the life and words of the Pope. I've been there alot since it was opened back in 2001. After a while, people stopped visiting and paying attention to it until the Knights of Columbus bought and renovated the interior. it was officially reopened a year or 2 ago.

Looks pretty legit now. There's a really beautiful chapel inside covered with these amesome mosaics that look like the kind you might find in Ravana, Italy or something. I can hardly believe that it's for real.

And then there are interactive displays on the life of St. JPII and a whole bunch of exhibits and stuff like that. There is also space for talks and events... outside on the property too.

Definitely worth checking out if you are in the area.

Edited by Seven77