An Old School Catholic Message Board

For My Dying Grandfather

OnlySunshine

OnlySunshine

About 1 or 2 weeks ago, I posted that my grandfather with Alzheimer's broke his shoulder and I was worried that it would mean he would go downhill.  Unfortunately, I was correct.  He was moved back home yesterday from the short-term hospice facility with 24-hour care and he was lucid all day.  My mom said it's been a long time since she's seen him like that - being so responsive and all.  During my internship, I learned this often happens where they become lucid and then unresponsive.  He's been telling people he's leaving and has been reaching towards heaven (including yesterday).  This morning, the hospice nurse found him unresponsive - he hasn't been given his medications because he won't move on his own, except for slight hand motions.  His respirations are shallow and his O2 sats are in the 70s (he would be on oxygen if he were in the hospital).  The hospice nurse told my aunt today that my grandfather is in the active dying stage and will probably pass away very soon.  

Knowing everything about his current condition, it sounds like a matter of possibly a day or two.  My uncle, however is the POA, and doesn't want to sign the DNR just yet, but he plans to go over this afternoon to see how my grandfather is.  Please say some prayers that he will change his mind and sign the document.  The rest of the family - other than my 2 uncles - agrees that it would be best for him to pass away peacefully at home rather than have people pumping on his chest and shocking him which won't change the inevitable outcome.