An Old School Catholic Message Board

Catholic Mental Health Professionals

tinytherese

tinytherese

Is anyone on here a Catholic therapist or psychologist? I'm already in counseling for certain issues, but there's something that I need help with from a Catholic viewpoint. I have a question about something I'd like to discuss through private messaging.

I looked at the Catholic Therapists website and for reasons I won't get into, that's just not an option. The Catholic Charities office in my diocese doesn't have anyone that suits my needs. 

17 hours ago, tinytherese said:

Is anyone on here a Catholic therapist or psychologist? I'm already in counseling for certain issues, but there's something that I need help with from a Catholic viewpoint. I have a question about something I'd like to discuss through private messaging.

I looked at the Catholic Therapists website and for reasons I won't get into, that's just not an option. The Catholic Charities office in my diocese doesn't have anyone that suits my needs. 

How about https://www.catholiccounselors.com?

Or even http://www.spiritualdirection.com?

OnlySunshine

Some dioceses have a center for marriage and family life and they have resources, including referrals to counselors within your diocese.  This is how I found mine.  She has been invaluable and she respects my Catholic identity.  One of her helpful tips when I was going thru a hard time was spending time with the Blessed Sacrament.  I've been thru many counselors and I think she is the only one, so far, that has actually "gotten" me. :)

This is not my diocesan website, but the one for Richmond has some online resources that might help you find what you are looking for.  It is a link to help people find both Catholic physicians as well as counselors.

http://www.cdrcmfl.org/catholic-physicians/

tinytherese

I'm not looking for spiritual direction, but help from a licensed therapist. My insurance doesn't cover anyone in another state. I need counseling every week. I find that going longer than that isn't helpful because we don't remember where we were at 2 weeks or more ago.

I need help with depression, anxiety, social anxiety, forgiving people for certain things, and something else which would be inappropriate to mention online that isn't spiritual per se, but something that a secular therapist wouldn't see as a problem.

OnlySunshine
7 minutes ago, tinytherese said:

I'm not looking for spiritual direction, but help from a licensed therapist. My insurance doesn't cover anyone in another state. I need counseling every week. I find that going longer than that isn't helpful because we don't remember where we were at 2 weeks or more ago.

I need help with depression, anxiety, social anxiety, forgiving people for certain things, and something else which would be inappropriate to mention online that isn't spiritual per se, but something that a secular therapist wouldn't see as a problem.

Please look at the link I posted above.  It is to help people find a Catholic mental health professional (i.e. counselor).  You might even call your diocesan office and ask if they know anyone in your diocese who is a licensed mental health therapist who is Catholic.  Mine is affiliated with our local Catholic hospital (another good way to find one).  I don't know if you'd be open to it, but I could help you search for one.  I'll turn on my PMs if you want me to research.  No pressure.  If you aren't comfortable, fine. :)

38 minutes ago, tinytherese said:

I have a feeling I know what you're talking about. My therapist happens to be Catholic, although I assume someone who doesn't see certain things as sinful/bad, like say masturbation or something like that. Still a good therapist should respect your values and behavioral goals even if they don't share the same ones. Finding a good therapist is tricky though. I pray you find someone who can help you.

I would contact your priest.  There's several faithful, practicing psychologists at my parish that I refer students to post-college.  They don't sign up with the orgs that certify "Catholic" because there's been bullying in the past with "level" of Catholic. 

Edited by hotpink