An Old School Catholic Message Board

Please Pray for a Seminarian Brother

PhuturePriest

PhuturePriest

A brother seminarian in my diocese has been having a deep crisis of faith for a while now. He's afraid that he's been lied to his whole life, that he is wasting his life now, and that there is no way to know with confidence that God exists. He loves seminary, but feels like a hypocrite. He has brought this up to his spiritual director, whom advised him to find God in the little things, but in response he said "How can I know if I'm actually seeing God in these things, or if I am just projecting?"

When I prodded him as to the potential root of all these things, he said ultimately he had never felt any spiritual experiences in prayer or in general before -- he's not very affective or emotional in general, so this makes sense. He said that, because of this absence of a spiritual encounter with God, he couldn't be sure God actually existed.

Please pray for him. He's a really good guy and will make an excellent priest one day. I've tried helping him, but at this point there's nothing I can or should do except listen, be with him, and pray for him.