A New JMJ Carmel, of sorts

truthfinder

truthfinder

From the Elysburg's Carmel's website:

"Refoundation of Carmel of JMJ, Philadelphia, PA at 6PM

Published on Tuesday, July 18 2017 11:23 AM

The Discalced Carmelite Nuns cordially invite you to a Solemn Mass

Twenty-Sixth of July at Seven PM

In Thanksgiving for the Arrival of Nuns from the Carmel of Valparaiso, Nebraska and Elysburg, Pennsylvania

who have transferred to the Carmel of Philadelphia

Concert at 6pm

His Excellency, the Most Reverend Michael Fitzgerald. D.D., J.C.D., J.D., V.G., Auxiliary Bishop of Philadelphia will preach.

The Nuns will be available to greet visitors in the speak room after the liturgy.

Choir dress for priests in attendance 

Carmelite Monastery of St. Joseph and St. Anne

1400 66th Avenue

Philadelphia, PA. 19126"

I think the Philly Carmel was down to 6, possibly fewer, nuns. Does anyone have anymore info?

littlesister

This is wonderful news from my old neighborhood.  As the years went by and their numbers went down, we've wondered so often what would happen to that community and that beautiful building.

graciandelamadrededios

I think Philadelphia Carmel has few nuns left.  They are can trace their foundation from France.  Valparaiso and their daughter Carmels are from Spanish/Mexican branch.  Will they merge their customs or they will follow the Spanish Customs?

• 2 weeks later...
truthfinder
2 hours ago, Orans said:

You beat me to posting these. The pictures are good, but some of the reporting is a bit weird - as if the writer is not familiar with the JMJ Carmels or the FSSP. It is interesting to see the nuns behind the grille - this is the first JMJ Carmel that has the French style choir grille (that is, the nuns are not able to see the altar) unlike their other Carmels which have the nuns perpendicular or at a right angle to the altar. I imagine it would be a very hard change for some (or at least, I would find it difficult to never see the altar at Mass). 

truthfinder
30 minutes ago, vee said:

In the picture it appears that the nuns are facing away from the altar which is kind of interesting. 

Yes in the picture posted above - I think they might be in a sort of schola formation at that point. But in the photo set, there is a picture which shows them in a more regular two lines formation.

• 2 weeks later...

Before the Valparaiso, Elysburg (and one from Idaho) nuns came, Philadelphia was down to two Solemn professed and a Novice.

The name of the monastery is remaining the same, Carmel of St. Joseph and St. Anne. The new nuns are happy to carry on the heritage of the 115 year old foundation, and it is not a refoundation, according to the former Prioress Mother Pia. The Mass was in thanksgiving for the new nuns' arrival. But it will be very much like a new foundation from the JMJ Carmels, with the Spanish customs and 1990 Constitutions and old breviary/Mass, etc. But still remain the Monastery of St. Joseph and St. Anne.

Kensington has their nuns' choir directly behind the altar like this.

This is so great for this monastery with such an amazing history. One of their foundresses had even been found to be intact and is in the cloistered cemetery. I think I started a thread on her once.