An Old School Catholic Message Board

Adoration - looking for feedback from others with experience

sr.christinaosf

sr.christinaosf

I am writing to see if anyone else from a parish, etc. that has Eucharistic adoration might have some helpful input to share.
We used to have perpetual adoration here but were forced to cut back due to not enough people to fill the hours.
Consequently, now exposition ceases at midnight.  
We've run into trouble when people extinguish the candles - there has been soot damage to the altar cloth.
If anyone has any suggestions regarding this, or things you've found helpful in hosting an adoration "program" in general, I would be interested to hear your thoughts.
Thank you.

He is Risen!

Are people setting the snuffer on the altar cloth?  If that's the case maybe have a side table nearby to set it on with a note/ instructions?  If people are overblowing and getting wax and soot on it that way, you could try a candle holder with glass around it like a hurricane or a votive.  Good luck!

sr.christinaosf

They are blown out, they don't use a snuffer.  The candles are in globes but the soot gets out somehow.  I'd be afraid of them using the snuffer because that could drip wax if they touched the wax with it.  

He is Risen!

Hmm. I'm trying to imagine how the soot is getting out if the candles are in glass globes!  I guess I'd experiment with different kinds of candle holders or maybe each candle holder could be set on a tile/ coaster?  I've had luck using Lestoil to get soot out of my dining room tablecloth.  If your hardware store doesn't have it, I know Ace will special order it or you can get it online. ( I think it's for getting oil off concrete)