An Old School Catholic Message Board

Donald Trump and Racism

dUSt

6 hours ago, dominicansoul said:

I have something more to discuss other than "trump is a moron I hate his guts."  It doesn't mean i back him 100 percent.  There are several things he's said and done that I do not agree with while there are several things he's said and done that I do agree with.  I do not believe he is a racist though.

I've been on this board for 9 years, I know I've seen the majority of phatmassers tell me over and over they are not a one issue voter and abortion is a side issue that they don't believe we can change.  Im sure they are not offended by my bringing it up if it's truly how they feel.  I'm not accusing any phatmassers or labeling them.  I just want to talk about this "side issue thing."   I think we can use this same attitude and apply it to the majority of confederates.  It's the only reason I brought it up.   Why suddenly are ALL confederates bigots and racists?   In 150 years will Americans look back and lump us all with the pro abortionists?  Yuck!!! I really hope not!  Then why are we doing it to confederates?    The confederacy is an unusual animal.  Was it really a foreign country?  Were they that generations domestic terrorists?  Or were they Americans just like you and me?  It seems the northerners saw them as wayward brothers.  Northerners fought to keep our nation together.  When war was lost, the two sides had to work to bring the south back into the union.  As decades past, forgiveness was obtained.   Northerners grew to appreciate the south and the south  grew to respect the north.   There is some old film footage you may find on YouTube or elsewhere showing a reunion of North and south troops.  There is nothing but comradery and friendship between the two.  All was forgiven.  Perhaps that is why symbols still persist?  I am hesitant to agree with their removal only because I believe the southerners who say "it's heritage not hatred."  Why can't we see it as that? Everytime  there is some censorship of expression i feel someday my religious symbols will be on the chopping block. 

Racism is a huuuge propaganda tool of the left.  It really works to accuse someone of it.  The accused fall terribly under the weight of such an accusation.  Today statues are toppling because of it.  Trump is losing his cabinet members over it.  

i know I don't have to say this, but Im not putting trump and nationalism over my  faith.  Many of us are simply tired of the hatred and vitriol.   I like to break down the accusation and see what is real and what is false.  I did it for Hussein as well.  Every accusation is questionable unless I see some value to it.  I take what I think is honestly sound.  In this case I don't believe trumps a racist.  In this case I truly believe the mainstream media and leftists are propagating a campaign of hatred toward trump and exaggerating every word he say and every action he takes.  He's a moron.  So he doesn't help himself very much.  You're right he needs to off twitter.  It's moronic and childish behavior unbefitting a president.  For some reason he continues to do it, I guess cos he believes that's where he can communicate best with his supporters.  

Some people accuse conservative outlets as being just as ugly to Hussein, and perhaps they were.  Or perhaps they just covered him honestly.  But I feel the most honest reporting is more often seen on news outlets that are not mainstream or popular.    It is difficult to find a media outlet that has any credence  these days... 

well no matter what the majority does on the boards, i am my own person.  i am pretty sure we have had this same conversation before about you lumping me in with liberals just because of something i disagree with you on.  the fact is you jumped to a false conclusion and just assumed because i don't agree with you one something i must be on the other side and am evil.  i hate the term conservative and liberal.  i hate being labeled as such.  i prefer to go by the label of faithful catholic.  which puts me in between both parties signalling neither is all right or all wrong.

as it pertains to the statues some may say its heritage and it may be for them.  but for a lot of black people its not something they want to see because its a symbol of oppression.  i have no issues with blacks wanting these statues down.  at the end of the day black people were slaves and looked at as less than people and the people who fought to keep it that way have statues.  it is no different than if a city wanted to put up a statue of Margart Sager, the founder of planned parenthood.  many, many people would claim its to honor women's reproductive rights and that now women can make their own choices are are considered equals.  they wouldn't honestly believe this.  although to me it was be horrible to have to be around a publicly funded statue of the women who created the organization that kills more babies than any other.  if this were the case I would demand it be taken down.  these statues are not just something people dislike.  it is in a way honoring a person who fought to oppress a group of people.  this is not just artwork that offends, this can be seen as giving honor to those who supported something horrible.

racism is not just a tool of the left, it is a real thing that still exists today.  i worked as a paramedic in a major urban city with heavy black population and there is more than just a little racism.  i have dealt with police and other emergency responders for over 10 years and well I won't say its the majority, its a significant portion of people who could be called racist by their words and actions.

the media is is unfair to trump and i can;t stand the vast majority of their coverage of him.  although he may not be racist he sure does things to make you think he is.  yes the media twists it but there are things he does which make you wonder.  he does him self no favors.

the conservative media never covered obama fairly.  they were almost as bad as the liberal media is to trump.  at the end of the day you can not trust conservative or liberal media.  they are only out for profits.  they don't care about the truth, just ratings.  

dominicansoul

I actually have no idea what you're talking about.  I didn't say you were evil or on the other side.  I didn't label you or clump you into a group.  I haven't addressed you personally.  If you misunderstoood and thought I did, I'm telling you now again that I didn't.  I could care less whether you or anyone else agreed with me or not.  It's a free country.  Have as much of a different opinion from mine as you wish.  America is meant for us to have our own free opinions, regardless of groups  who want to control our thoughts and minds and opinions.  

Also I wasn't saying racism doesn't exist.  I was saying democrats and leftists use it as a tool to easily bring down their enemies.  They can lyingly accuse someone or something  of racism and before you know it, everyone believes without any real proof that it is in fact racist.  Then there is immediate fallout.   

Believe me I know racism exist.  I'm a person of color.  The most racism I ever encountered was from church people, which to me makes it even worse.  Statues don't really offend me.  Real living breathing racists do.  But even then I'm not that much offended because it's ingrained in me that they are entitled to their own hatred.  I'm not going to force them to like me.  Or to like my ethnic group.  As long as they dont pull out guns and shoot,  the only one they are hurting with their hatred is themselves.  

1 hour ago, havok579257 said:

you can claim its opinion but statistics don't lie.  just like the death penalty is unfairly used on males and females.  facts are facts no matter how much people dislike them.

Stats are mischevious and sometimes lie to people who are mathematically illiterate.  Stats are devious like that.  

I'm tend to assume that people who don't know the difference between "your" and "you're" couldn't possibly have passed stats.  This is, perhaps, an unfair assumption.

9 hours ago, EleanorW said:

Stats are mischevious and sometimes lie to people who are mathematically illiterate.  Stats are devious like that.  

I'm tend to assume that people who don't know the difference between "your" and "you're" couldn't possibly have passed stats.  This is, perhaps, an unfair assumption.

probably an unfair assumption considering this is an internet forum and nothing more.  so the assumption you could make would be that most people who post on an internet forum don't care about grammar so much as to proof read what they wrote.  kind of like when people text and they don't worry about spelling out all the words properly such as "brb".  that would be a fair assumption.  

i always find it funny when someone complains about spelling or grammar on an internet forum, twitter, facebook, text messages and the like.  

Edited by havok579257

I like to think positively. Maybe Trump's racism will make the Republican party look in the mirror, distance itself from racism, and actually DO something to get more than 7% of the black vote in the future. There is no better opportunity than now.

dominicansoul
1 hour ago, dUSt said:

I like to think positively. Maybe Trump's racism will make the Republican party look in the mirror, distance itself from racism, and actually DO something to get more than 7% of the black vote in the future. There is no better opportunity than now.

Well, we've tried to nominate black men in the past, but the liberal mainstream media were quick to call them uncle toms.  

Nothing the Republican party does works because they are fighting against a powerful instrument of the Democrat Party:  all the major networks, social media outlets, hollywood.  This belief that Republicans are racists and hate minorities has been ingrained in minorities for decades.  Trump isn't the first to be accused and definitely won't be the last.  

55 minutes ago, dominicansoul said:

This belief that Republicans are racists and hate minorities has been ingrained in minorities for decades.  Trump isn't the first to be accused and definitely won't be the last.  

Maybe it's because the Republican Party has done such a stellar job of proving them wrong. Anyhow, hoping that things get better like Dust said.

1 hour ago, dominicansoul said:

Well, we've tried to nominate black men in the past, but the liberal mainstream media were quick to call them uncle toms.  

Nothing the Republican party does works because they are fighting against a powerful instrument of the Democrat Party:  all the major networks, social media outlets, hollywood.  This belief that Republicans are racists and hate minorities has been ingrained in minorities for decades.  Trump isn't the first to be accused and definitely won't be the last.  

the problem is the republican party does not have a strong message or action plan for the black community,  they have strong plans for small business owners, pro life advocates, gun owners and such but they have a poor message for black america.  they need to put a strong plan into action to address the concerns of black american's.  all they seem to do is talk about that the democrats haven't done anything for the black voter for years but offer no real solutions specific to black american's.

dairygirl4u2c

it's not that republicans are considered racist, though that has some to do with it. it's that it's common sense that a disenfranchised minority will back the party that ensures they have a strong, or any, social safety net. it's not like repubicans have to be opposed to all that, but it's not the stereotype and it goes against party line orthodoxy to be different. some republicans will make you think they have plans that will be better than what democrats offer but give no specifics other than vague ideas of economic growth, that never seems to occur for blacks or those who are disenfranchised, when repubicans are in power. if you want to feed people who are starving, giving them food makes a lot more sense than hoping they can find a way to earn it, one way is guaranteed and the other is not and hasn't panned out in the past either. republican plans are just hubris to these who are disenfranchised. 

and it is hurbris. most economic plans revitalize those places with money. it's almost surely a reality that ghettos are a fact of life, nothing that you are going to revitalize. what can we do for these people? the only thing guaranteed to an adult with no disabilities is food and education, with a very small minority of these people getting housing assistance. everything else depends on the state, but most states don't offer a much more. basically, the idea of a runaway welfare state is a myth. so it's not even like the blacks and minorities are getting all that much in return... they're just trying to hold on to what little they have. 

Edited by dairygirl4u2c

KnightofChrist

There is absolutely nothing the Republican Party can do that will stop people on the left from calling it racist and sexist. Nothing. Absolutely nothing. It doesn't matter what they do and it most certainly doesn't matter what they have done for minorities and women. History doesn't make a difference. It doesn't matter what solution you or it can come up with. Republicans will always be seen as racist, sexist bigots. And it will never be the right time to point out the numerous trees stuck in the eyes of the Democrat Party when they perpetually scream "racist, sexist bigots!"

Anyway I hope this thread has been successful in generating traffic for Phatmass. It's been a little slow lately.

dominicansoul
4 hours ago, Seven77 said:

Maybe it's because the Republican Party has done such a stellar job of proving them wrong. Anyhow, hoping that things get better like Dust said.

For me, they need to prove they aren't a bunch of leftists commies.  Too many rhinos, not racists, in today's Republican party.  I'm more concerned about that...

Edited by dominicansoul

8 hours ago, dUSt said:

Lol, good luck with that. I gave up that hope a looong time ago. 

Which I'm sure, makes me a godless pinko commie. Oh well. 

On 8/27/2017 at 11:04 AM, dominicansoul said:

Well, this isn't actually a thread about institutionalized racism.  If you want to discuss that, start a thread. The title is "Trump and racism" which means it has a political spin to it and of course democrats are gonna be part of the discussion. 

See, that's part of the problem. This thread is indeed about institutional racism because of the title…To say otherwise is to deny that it exists. Whether or not the president is a straight up racist, his public statements certainly seem to suggest that he doesn't consider racism as a problem and as something that is still ingrained in our society in different ways.

Again, ok,  the Democrat party started out the way it did but I'm looking at the way the parties exist today… Neither one of them have truly effective policies for ending the problem of racism--- but the Republican party as a whole does not seem to be trying very hard in my opinion.

ultimately the solution will not be found in politics as it exists today…

2 hours ago, dominicansoul said:

For me, they need to prove they aren't a bunch of leftists commies.  Too many rhinos, not racists, in today's Republican party.  I'm more concerned about that...

If you think that there are too many "leftists commies" In the  Republican party, then what must you think of us,  we who are the other side of the argument here in this thread.lol :)

• dUSt featured this topic