An Old School Catholic Message Board

Donald Trump and Racism

dUSt

I tried using the Google to find the "good people on both sides" transcript, and I can't find it. Did he actually say that? lol

19 minutes ago, dUSt said:

I tried using the Google to find the "good people on both sides" transcript, and I can't find it. Did he actually say that? lol

In your opinion, is it possible to be supportive of keeping the Confederate monument without racist intent?

15 minutes ago, Anomaly said:

In your opinion, is it possible to be supportive of keeping the Confederate monument without racist intent?

i'll jump in even though its not addressed to me.  i say yes your can support it without being racist but you need to understand what it means to black people.  its a sign of oppression and a symbol of when their people were treated and looked at as worse than animals.  so you need to understand why people want them down and that they should come down.  i also believe someone can support planned parenthood without being someone who supports baby killings.  although they would need to understand why it would bother a lot of people to have a statue of the founder of planned parenthood paid for by tax payer money and supported by the government and why it needs to come down. 

2 hours ago, dUSt said:

@dUSt , in your opinion, could a "good" person support the statue without being a racist?

3 hours ago, dUSt said:

I tried using the Google to find the "good fine people on both sides" transcript, and I can't find it. Did he actually say that? lol

Heard him say it with my two ears.

http://metro.co.uk/2017/08/15/trump-says-there-were-some-very-fine-people-on-both-sides-of-charlottesville-protest-6855040/

Edited by Seven77

3 hours ago, Anomaly said:

Yes. Condaleeza Rice was against removing confederate statues, and it's impossible for her to be racist.

When read in context, what Trump said actually isn't as racist as I first thought...

"Reporter: Neo-Nazis started this. They showed up in Charlottesville to protest the removal of the statue.
Trump: Excuse me. You had some very bad people in that group. But you also had people that were very fine people, on both sides. "

So, instead of him saying that there were "very fine people" in the neo-nazi group, he actually first said that group was bad, and then implied the "very fine people" were not in that group.

I must say, he might have a point about the whole fake news thing.

But when asked specifically to denounce white supremacists groups, he said nothing. I believe it was when he was signing an unrelated bill some days later. Sometimes no answer speaks volumes.

KnightofChrist
19 minutes ago, Ice_nine said:

But when asked specifically to denounce white supremacists groups, he said nothing. I believe it was when he was signing an unrelated bill some days later. Sometimes no answer speaks volumes.

Perhaps he is tired of being asked the question having condemned racism, bigotry, racists and bigots as though he has not done so for the pass 17 years. 

https://youtu.be/hoXThCb8EZA

Many people fall for the hyperbolic sensationalism in the media that is not intended to inform but to inflame merely for viewers, clicks, or to push a secondary agenda.   

This type of reporting isn't "fake" news, but it isn't accurate.   

Everyone has bias, intentional or subconscious.  Nothing said is 100% true or false as we are tricked to believe.

These Confederate Monuments are not a Black OR White issue,

they are a Black AND White issue.  Both sides have valid and reasonable points that should be considered with fine people on both sides.  Together there can be a compromise.    

Making it into an OR issue just creates a conflict for a winner and a loser.  In that case, of course inevitably there will be be violence.  We had the Civil War because there could no longer be a compromise on slavery, but slavery was only one of the reasons people fought, sacrificed, and died. 

1 hour ago, KnightofChrist said:

Perhaps he is tired of being asked the question having condemned racism, bigotry, racists and bigots as though he has not done so for the pass 17 years. 

https://youtu.be/hoXThCb8EZA

he's a politicians, that's part of his job.  he is going to be hounded by the media over and over with the same questions asking him to condemn something.  the conservative media is currently doing the same thing with anifa.  its part of the job.  as much as the media tries to attack a politician or make them look bad, the politician is still required to answer questions the media asks.  not "for" the media but for the american people.  

dominicansoul

"When people assume things they make asses out of themselves."  

Is that how that saying goes?  Or am I missing something...

Edited by dominicansoul

1 minute ago, dominicansoul said:

"When people assume things they make asses out of themselves."  

Is that how that saying goes?  Or am I missing something...

:doh: 

its ass out of u and me. Dumbass

• dUSt featured this topic