An Old School Catholic Message Board

What is the difference between Carmelite, Franciscan and Dominican spirituality?

Saintclare2009

Saintclare2009

Hello,  I wanted to hear my fellow Catholics opinion on the difference between gravitating towards, Dominican, Franciscan and Carmelite spirituality. I have been a Catholic for a while now, and have read many books on the saints. I would like some day to join a third order, if it God's will. I have a special love for saint Therese in my heart as well as saint Bernadette. I feel drawn to them. I ordered a book about saint Clare recently ( I haven't received it yet.) Because last Saturday I was going through a difficult time and said prayers for st Clare's intercession. And since then, I have an indescribable peace. I really feel her prayers to jesus on my behalf has helped me.  I have a special love for the Eucharist, the sacred heart of Jesus, and our blessed mother. I need to be more disciplined in saying my rosary... I first joined in June my first Id was Carmelite 4 Christ, but since I try my best to be honest... I forgot my password, I can be absent minded.. and I'm not "old" yet. It's something I think Jesus Gave me, so I constantly depend on him. Thank-you!

srmarymichael
On 8/19/2017 at 6:48 AM, Saintclare2009 said:

Hello,  I wanted to hear my fellow Catholics opinion on the difference between gravitating towards, Dominican, Franciscan and Carmelite spirituality. I have been a Catholic for a while now, and have read many books on the saints. I would like some day to join a third order, if it God's will. I have a special love for saint Therese in my heart as well as saint Bernadette. I feel drawn to them. I ordered a book about saint Clare recently ( I haven't received it yet.) Because last Saturday I was going through a difficult time and said prayers for st Clare's intercession. And since then, I have an indescribable peace. I really feel her prayers to jesus on my behalf has helped me.  I have a special love for the Eucharist, the sacred heart of Jesus, and our blessed mother. I need to be more disciplined in saying my rosary... I first joined in June my first Id was Carmelite 4 Christ, but since I try my best to be honest... I forgot my password, I can be absent minded.. and I'm not "old" yet. It's something I think Jesus Gave me, so I constantly depend on him. Thank-you!

I can try to answer this.  This probably is not the best explanation, but it helps.  One of my aquantances told me that she was at a class with Franciscans, Dominicans, and Carmelites.  During their free time, the Dominicans were studying , the Carmelites were prayerfully ironing their veils, and the Franciscans were outside playing.  

I am a Franciscan.  When I first visited Assisi (at the age of 21 and before saying yes to my vocation) and read the Writings of St. Francis, I knew that it fit me.  There was something inside that resonated with Francis.  

Again, this may not help you much -- it's hard to describe it.  It's so a part of you that it's truly hard to put into words (the difference between the 3 spiritualities). At the same time, we complement and overlap.  I know many Franciscans that love Carmelite saints and many Carmelites that love Franciscan saints, for example.  If I were you, I'd pray to the Holy Spirit and the Blessed Mother, and ask them to guide you.  Read the Rules of the Third Orders (should all be online) and see which one makes your heart burn.

God bless you!

15 minutes ago, srmarymichael said:

I can try to answer this.  This probably is not the best explanation, but it helps.  One of my aquantances told me that she was at a class with Franciscans, Dominicans, and Carmelites.  During their free time, the Dominicans were studying , the Carmelites were prayerfully ironing their veils, and the Franciscans were outside playing.  

I am a Franciscan.  When I first visited Assisi (at the age of 21 and before saying yes to my vocation) and read the Writings of St. Francis, I knew that it fit me.  There was something inside that resonated with Francis.  

Again, this may not help you much -- it's hard to describe it.  It's so a part of you that it's truly hard to put into words (the difference between the 3 spiritualities). At the same time, we complement and overlap.  I know many Franciscans that love Carmelite saints and many Carmelites that love Franciscan saints, for example.  If I were you, I'd pray to the Holy Spirit and the Blessed Mother, and ask them to guide you.  Read the Rules of the Third Orders (should all be online) and see which one makes your heart burn.

God bless you!

Would Poor Clares be considered Franciscans?

All of this spiritualities take you to Jesus, but some of them go through the dessert, some of them through a city, or a library. I think it comes down to what resonates with you, as @srmarymichael said, what speaks to your heart.

I remember reading the Constitution of an Order and I just felt like this is what my heart desires. As if it was written to fit me. Or I was "written" to fit them. :))) I'm not talking here only about entering a religious community but also about what it means for them to follow Christ.

Saintclare2009

Thank you sister mary Michael, I do love many of the saints that were from all three orders, so I will continue to pray, where Jesus wants to guide me! I appreciate you answering my question. :) God bless you! 

Thank you Antonella! Yes, I agree all the spiritualities I was asking about take you to jesus. :) I love the Eucharist and silent time in prayer. We all have special vocations and talents, not only in religious life. In the world though our hearts can be divided at times.... in the convent I think it may be easier to be single hearted for jesus.. in my own opinion. Our relationship ship with him, thankfully we can have in any vocation he calls us to: single, married and religious life! As a long as we live for him! 

srmarymichael
On 8/26/2017 at 2:40 PM, EleanorW said:

Would Poor Clares be considered Franciscans?

Yes, Poor Clares are definitely Franciscan!  God is good!

By the way, sometimes we have preconceived ideas about different groups (Dominicans vs. Franciscans vs. Carmelites), etc.  Don't put the groups or God in a box.  There are many Franciscans, for example, in education and study.  In my experience, God speaks to our hearts through Providence and through our experience.  If we read the materials from different spiritualities and spend time with them, God speaks to us - does one of them resonate with me in a big way?   Ask God to lead you, to introduce you to the right spirituality.  And don't sit there and wait for a scroll to drop from the sky. :)

On 19/08/2017 at 0:48 PM, Saintclare2009 said:

They all have similarities and differences, as you would expect from charism traditions lived by people in different states of life, places and times etc. I think Dominicans focus on proclamation and preaching, which is kind of given away by their name. It goes deeper though as they do this in different ways: intellectual study, teaching, writing etc. There is an enclosed element that prays for all the rest too and they proclaim the Gospel with their lives. 

Franciscans are focused more on poverty and simplicity, both of material and spiritual living. They tend to cut out excess and focus on cultivating relationships and communion with their surroundings and people as a means to understand and grow in God. 

Carmelites focus more on the interior life and how this can fuel a deeper communion with God and those around them, be they in a convent or not. 

It doesn't matter what one you follow (if any)  as long as it leads you closer to God. I like the Dominicans more -  for their charism, life and input to the church - but also because I've met some really good and balanced ones. I've also met some great Carmelite nuns who were inspiring but, sadly, I wasn't as inspired by the O.Carm Friars I've met (withdrew from that parish now). Franciscans are sort of quirky and they vary lots depending on the branch, order etc. The spirituality isn't really for me though.

Check out Ignatian and Benedictine spirituality too -  they are amesome! :cool: