An Old School Catholic Message Board

Have you made a "Come & See"?

sr.christinaosf

sr.christinaosf

We are thinking of re-vitalizing our "Come & See" retreat program and I thought I would check if anyone has suggestions.especially regarding length and time of year or things you like/dislike.

We are toying with the idea of doing it around new years on Christmas/semester break.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Sr. Christina Marie

https://ourfranciscanfiat.wordpress.com

Saintclare2009

I would say around Christmas time is  exciting with the convent decorated for Christmas and it's such a holy time! I remember going on a retreat around Christmas about a week before and it was nice because by the time the retreat was over, I got to spend Christmas day with my family. Blessings!!

sr.christinaosf

We are thinking of possibly after Christmas proper - maybe around or right after New Years.

I love the idea of a Christmas vocations retreat.  Some things to consider:

-I don't know what the weather is like in your part of ND, but consider the weather. Is travel by car difficult during Christmas?

-Air travel is usually expensive right before and after a holiday.  I would try to stagger the dates so women aren't competing with all of the other travelers for tickets.

-I suggest having lots of activities of participating in what the nuns are doing, and opportunities for conversations to happen spontaneously.

-try not to put lots of pressure on the women to define whether or not they have a vocation right there at the event.  Go easy on the scheduled one-on-one chats.  I'm sure it's never the intention to put pressure, but it can feel that way to a discerner who is already pressuring herself to figure it out.  

Best of luck!! :)

If your Community prays LOTH take a few moments to explain how it's prayed properly and print out the text. It's easier than using those chunky books.

sr.christinaosf
1 hour ago, EleanorW said:

I love the idea of a Christmas vocations retreat.  Some things to consider:

-I don't know what the weather is like in your part of ND, but consider the weather. Is travel by car difficult during Christmas?

-Air travel is usually expensive right before and after a holiday.  I would try to stagger the dates so women aren't competing with all of the other travelers for tickets.

-I suggest having lots of activities of participating in what the nuns are doing, and opportunities for conversations to happen spontaneously.

-try not to put lots of pressure on the women to define whether or not they have a vocation right there at the event.  Go easy on the scheduled one-on-one chats.  I'm sure it's never the intention to put pressure, but it can feel that way to a discerner who is already pressuring herself to figure it out.  

Best of luck!! :)

I kind of doubt anyone would be flying in for the occasion.

Yes, weather is a consideration, but we have universities right in town/near by so some would be in the area anyway.

They have a few weeks off between semesters at Christmas so we were thinking of possibly doing it shortly before classes resume - not that this would be the entire population, necessarily.

6 minutes ago, Antonella said:

If your Community prays LOTH take a few moments to explain how it's prayed properly and print out the text. It's easier than using those chunky books.

We do pray the Liturgy of the Hours from Christian Prayer.  Unless it's a special memorial, it is very straight forward.  We pray with visitors all the time who come for Adoration and things go pretty well.

Thanks for the thoughts.