An Old School Catholic Message Board

TURN OFF YOUR PHONE

Ash Wednesday

Ash Wednesday

When you go to mass, please TURN OFF YOUR PHONE before coming into the church.

Some people in front of us today, and I'm sure they are absolutely wonderful people, were driving me absolutely crazy with their phones. First their phones were ringing because they didn't have them on any silent mode whatsoever. Then they put them on silent mode but they were constantly buzzing and the vibrations of the phones rattling against wooden pews was just really annoying when you're quietly trying to concentrate and take in the mass. Their constant fussing with them was driving me darn near crazy.

St. Therese being annoyed by the other nun's rosary beads came to mind. Of course I haven't been able to handle things like that as well as she did, though I can try.

But can people not turn their phones completely off for one hour? Is this so hard? People survived for thousands of years without having phones with them in church.

Our cantor does the same, and includes electronic toys and devices.  It's a shame that we have to do that.  Seems we've lost something along the way...........

dominicansoul

Some people use their devices to use "Magnificat" apps or things like it.   Used to do that but it's too distracting because calls would come through or text during mass.  Now I just turn it off.  

I address this to my 6th grade class just yesterday, first day of catechesis.   I asked them can people not leave their phone in the car? It is only one hour.  I dont even take my phone in Mass when I am on-call. If I get pages (on vibrate mode), I can walk to my car.

but consider if any of these people need their phones on because they have an ill family member at home or in the hospital.  or maybe their spouse is traveling and they want the phones on in case of an accident.  it would really stink to get an emergency call about an ill family member dying or a spouse in a serious accident and you missed it because your phone was off.  also i have seen fire fighters/paramedics  come to mass on shift on a sunday.  they work 24 hour shifts and so on duty is possibly the only way they can get to mass.  when i worked the streets as a paramedic and we would have a break sometimes i would go to confession and i turned my radio off but told my partner in the ambulance to call my cell phone if we were needed.  there are many examples why people can't turn their phone off during mass. people should have it on silent though.  i understand getting upset about the ringing phones but not the buzzing ones on silent.  

Sometimes, I leave mine at home.  If I bring mine, then I will turn it off.  There was no way, I will answer my cell phone while mass is going on.  If work calls me, I just call them back.

39 minutes ago, Luigi said:

I don't have a cell phone. And - wonder of wonders! - I'm still alive to tell the tale. Miracles never WILL cease!

some jobs require cell phones.  

Just now, havok579257 said:

some jobs require cell phones.  

I"m not saying they're evil or anything. I'm just saying I don't have one. I haven't needed one (although one would've been handy a couple of times in the last five years); they're an expense (and I'd rather give my money to a charity than a company); they're a distraction (and I have enough trouble with distractions already); I tend to form bad habits/addictions easily, quickly, and adamantly. So I figure it's best to just leave 'em alone. But I"m not condemning people for having them.