An Old School Catholic Message Board

TURN OFF YOUR PHONE

Ash Wednesday

TheLordsSouljah

I just leave mine in the car. It's like leaving the phone outside of your room when you sleep. Creates much less subconscious distraction.

On 8/28/2017 at 10:54 PM, Luigi said:

I don't have a cell phone. And - wonder of wonders! - I'm still alive to tell the tale. Miracles never WILL cease!

I have one because my parents want me to have one.  I don`t need one.  But came in handy a few times for google maps, when I get lost.  Sometimes, I wonder if I use it more time for google maps then for text/calls.

Ash Wednesday
On 8/28/2017 at 7:23 PM, havok579257 said:

but consider if any of these people need their phones on because they have an ill family member at home or in the hospital.  or maybe their spouse is traveling and they want the phones on in case of an accident.  it would really stink to get an emergency call about an ill family member dying or a spouse in a serious accident and you missed it because your phone was off.  also i have seen fire fighters/paramedics  come to mass on shift on a sunday.  they work 24 hour shifts and so on duty is possibly the only way they can get to mass.  when i worked the streets as a paramedic and we would have a break sometimes i would go to confession and i turned my radio off but told my partner in the ambulance to call my cell phone if we were needed.  there are many examples why people can't turn their phone off during mass. people should have it on silent though.  i understand getting upset about the ringing phones but not the buzzing ones on silent.  

Being in a situation where you are anticipating news in an emergency situation only applies to a small fraction of the population. Most people can still stand to turn off their phones for one hour and it would probably do them good where more often than not they are still glancing at them, dawdling with them, and distracted by them even when they're on "silent" (if you can still hear it buzzing loudly against a pew, it's not really silent.) It's annoying and disrespectful and one hour is not asking much for most people. I'm just not understanding the gravity of missing a call if you aren't anticipating any urgent need to be called on when we were spending time with the very Author of Life as he asked us to, just one hour out of our entire week. This can happen when taking a shower, doing the dishes, handling a task, or sleeping. I missed being immediately informed about my dying mother because I was sleeping and turned my ringer off. When I was woken up by the police, I was concerned about the unexpected situation in general and not the fact that I missed the call. I got word in due time and it was all out of my hands anyway. Generally it seems to me that what used to be a novelty is something that people have become overly attached to, to the point where they don't seem capable of ignoring their phones even in church.

11 hours ago, Ash Wednesday said:

Being in a situation where you are anticipating news in an emergency situation only applies to a small fraction of the population. Most people can still stand to turn off their phones for one hour and it would probably do them good where more often than not they are still glancing at them, dawdling with them, and distracted by them even when they're on "silent" (if you can still hear it buzzing loudly against a pew, it's not really silent.) It's annoying and disrespectful and one hour is not asking much for most people. I'm just not understanding the gravity of missing a call if you aren't anticipating any urgent need to be called on when we were spending time with the very Author of Life as he asked us to, just one hour out of our entire week. This can happen when taking a shower, doing the dishes, handling a task, or sleeping. I missed being immediately informed about my dying mother because I was sleeping and turned my ringer off. When I was woken up by the police, I was concerned about the unexpected situation in general and not the fact that I missed the call. I got word in due time and it was all out of my hands anyway. Generally it seems to me that what used to be a novelty is something that people have become overly attached to, to the point where they don't seem capable of ignoring their phones even in church.

my point is when someone's phone vibrates you don't know if they have it on for a legit reason.  i mean there are serious reasons a phone would need to be on.  such as a paramedic/firefighter who works 24 to 48 hours straight.  they may have to attend mass on duty and need the phone on because if there is an emergency in the area they need to respond.  

my point is, there are legit reasons why someone needs their phone on silent in church.  now most people don't need their phone on but a few do.  so unless your going to ask each person why their phone is on silent, don't just assume something bad about them.

also if the buzzing phone bothers you that much i can't imagine what you think about the family with multiple young children in mass.  they are a lot louder and more distracting then a phone on silent and its just buzzing.

Ash Wednesday
6 hours ago, havok579257 said:

my point is when someone's phone vibrates you don't know if they have it on for a legit reason.  i mean there are serious reasons a phone would need to be on.  such as a paramedic/firefighter who works 24 to 48 hours straight.  they may have to attend mass on duty and need the phone on because if there is an emergency in the area they need to respond.  

my point is, there are legit reasons why someone needs their phone on silent in church.  now most people don't need their phone on but a few do.  so unless your going to ask each person why their phone is on silent, don't just assume something bad about them.

also if the buzzing phone bothers you that much i can't imagine what you think about the family with multiple young children in mass.  they are a lot louder and more distracting then a phone on silent and its just buzzing.

If you go back and read what I said, I acknowledge the need for serious cases. But I don't think it applies to most people.

My point is, if you are having problems being distracted by your phone for innocuous reasons, then you should turn it off. I'm not assuming anyone's character or situation by stating that. I seriously doubt anyone receiving an urgent message is going to keep dawdling with their phone like they're in a nightclub. My post applies to casual phone usage. I thought that was understood, but apparently not. If I haven't stated it clearly enough before, I am stating it now. 

All you are doing is repeating what you already said in your previous post, and we are now just going to be talking in circles at this point. In fact we probably could have found some common ground on the subject, only for whatever reason you felt the need to resort to a personal attack on my character, which was completely unnecessary and way out of line.

You seriously are in no place to lecture me on assuming the worst about other people when you have just done the EXACT same thing to me with regards to your insinuation about how I view children and large families at mass.

Children have been a part of worship for centuries, unlike phones, so don't suggest that I view those matters in same light, because I don't.

personal attack?  i have no clue how you took anything i said as a personal attack.  it was not meant as one and I have no clue how you took it that way.  but since i've been warned, i am not going to post any further in this thread.

Ash Wednesday

Your insinuation that I somehow had a problem with large families and children at mass was very offensive and an attack on my character.

It's probably best this thread just die a slow death.