An Old School Catholic Message Board

Is this illegal?

Marsabielle

Could we play Let's be my SD?, since I'm having a woeful time trying to find one in RL?

Great. So I'm confused. I know God loves me.. Like, a lot. Thanks God. Right back at you.

I want to devote my life to loving Jesus and Mary. Thing is, I don't feel called to community. 'Ah, then CV life!' I thought. But I am hesitating.. Something doesn't seem right. 

Then I discerned the hermit vocation.. but I have a pretty Dominican spirituality. I light up in an academic environment.. I would ideally love to be a Professor of Politics or Theology at a seminary or University while giving the habit, being consecrated, but not living in community. I've also been talking to God about my desire to be the one of us 3 kids to take care of my parents in 30+/- yrs when they will need it. Also, I wilt when I'm around people for any extended time in a non-academic, social situation.

I love the special boom witness factor of the habit.. At the same time, God may not be calling me to that kind of witness because I have a feeling that people see a habit and pummel the religious with questions, stories, etc. That would be terrifying for me.

If anyone sees any green lights, red flags, etc-then please, do share.

I just keep telling God… High God, I love you. You do know I have to do something with my life right? I would like to do whatever you want me to do… Sometimes it seems like you don't have an opinion… It would be nice if you did, because I want to love you. And whatever I choose, I want to spread that as much as possible.  I'm having a lot of trouble here though. Amen.

I dictate almost anything I write on my phone – hence, typos.

I am a SD, but.......unfortunately it's highly unethical for me to give you an "official read" on what you've written.  If you can't find a SD (did you check with your diocesan/Archdiocesan office for referrals or is their a convent or monastery near you that does SD?)  Is there a trusted, perhaps older person you can speak frankly with about this?  I will pray for you.

Writing down you feelings and thoughts might help get some clarity on your situation.

I would also recommend emailing a VD. It doesn't have to be the VD of a Community you would like to join.

"You do know I have to do something with my life right? I would like to do whatever you want me to do… Sometimes it seems like you don't have an opinion…"

Maybe God wants you to do whatever you want to do. Maybe we get to exercise our own (God-given) free will in choosing what we do with our lives. That's what a lot of folks do when they choose their college major, their careers, their spouse, whether to live in a house or apartment, what part of town they live in, what they're going to eat for breakfast, where they send their children to school, how much they donate to the Church, and so forth. Maybe that feels like God not having an opinion. I admit it would be easier to follow clearly written rules, but .. God gave us free will for a reason? So we could exercise it? .

"I want to love you." - You can love God whatever you do. I think Therese of Lisieux wrote about that. And maybe a lot of other people, too.

The only practical advice I can offer - Warning! I have no expertise in this area! - is to live as a hermit, read like a Dominican, and teach online. As to your parents, maybe you have to trust that God - or your siblings - will take care of them.

Maybe look into being a third order lay Dominican? You can't wear the habit but you do get to be buried in one ;) 

dominicansoul
On 8/28/2017 at 11:56 PM, vee said:

By the thread title I this was about drugs or something lol

Yeah same here.  I thought maybe this was a thread written by someone already in the convent who went walking in the garden and found cannibus growing.  "Is this illegal?"   Comes to phatmass to find the answers