An Old School Catholic Message Board

North Korea fires missile over Japan

BarbTherese

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/world/japan-warns-about-north-korea-missile/news-story/7c7b072d6c6200a934da0d297d527a7c

(About an hour ago).............."UPDATED: South Korea has responded to the North’s missile launch with an aggressive show of “overwhelming force”, conducting a live-fire drill near the border between the two countries.

Seoul’s presidential spokesman Park Su-hyun said four F-15 fighters dropped eight MK-84 bombs - each with the explosive yield of a ton - that accurately hit targets at a military field in Taebaek, on the eastern coast.

The South Korean Air Force said the exercise was aimed at sharpening the military’s ability to completely destroy “the enemy’s leadership”.

The significance of North Korea's latest launch   ( Today - 29th August 2017, Tuesday, in Australia)

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/08/29/north-korea-missile-launch-experts-are-pushing-for-the-us-to-enact-even-more-sanctions.html

(Videos in the above article worth a watch)

My two (err...... ummmm perhaps five) cents:  -If there is nothing to be overly/excessively concerned about at this point in the North Korean provocations - we can be very sure that it is prayer and penance for this cause that is holding things at more or less status quo as the pendulum does swing (beware of calling wolf in reverse? - the last thing world leadership wants is panic - although I personally think Kim Jong Un, like a cruel personality getting the attention craved, is having the time of his life being the primary world concern just now)  I am thinking primarily re prayer and penance of our contemplatives and their acute awareness always of current affairs and news, not only that but their contemplative insight into same - and as Thomas Merton wrote "sharing the fruits of contemplation in the parlour" (Contemplation in a World of Action).  I am close to Carmelite nuns here and I have been rather often amazed at their knowledge and keen insight blessed with simple wisdom into world affairs and general news, shared with me in the parlour. 

I, as a layperson, however also have a responsibility in this area.  It is Peace that Jesus gifted to us all at the Last Supper and His Prayer that we should all be one as He and The Father are one.  Does my heart beat with the heart of Jesus?  When we pray  ardently (make simple acts of penance) for Peace in our world, we are praying from and for The Heart and Mind of Jesus, Prince of Peace, to reign victorious over our world.  It simply follows always wherever Jesus is victorious there is Peace and Joy, happiness and fulfilment.

As a layperson in the world where my primary vocational mission is focused, I very much doubt I can complete what I need to complete, respond where I need to respond, if I spend hours on my knees and weaken myself with heavy penances.  Not that I have EVER been guilty of such.  There might be some called this way but not, I would really and truly hope, without (with docility) wise and sound, holy, spiritual direction and affirmation of that call and vocation.

It is in balance rather than excess that The Holy Spirit is present.........while He cannot be compartmentalised and contained in that.

Undoubtedly North Korea, Russia and China are restless at this point.

Also, we need to be aware I think that our opinions are very often formed by media...........and media craves and indeed needs the dollar for its survival and bad news and sensationalism does sell.  When I watch the News each evening, it is swamped in really bad news........but there is really good news in our world too.  Deo Gratius

We are only told what politicians need and want us to hear.  God bless our Whistle-blowers!

Laudate Dominum

Well, that was an all over the place mouthful indeed :bye:

this situation is a disaster and will lead to eventual war with north korea.  the only question is how many lives will be lost.  will it be a just war or will it be an unjust war.  when the war started will we send in troops or will we go the unjust route and just bomb the evil with the innocent.

dairygirl4u2c

trump was probably right in that video many years ago... we should try to avert war as much as possible, but if we can't, it's probably better to stop them with force sooner than later. they say it' inevitable that they will be able to get rockets with nukes that can reliably hit us, eventually. is having a nuke capability approaching the strength of a superpower something we can trust NK to have? almost surely not. 

Um technically north and South Korea are still at war, well an armistice agreement or ceasefire, and the US has always had troops supporting on the south side  

53 minutes ago, vee said:

Um technically north and South Korea are still at war, well an armistice agreement or ceasefire, and the US has always had troops supporting on the south side  

sorry, what i meant was an american war vs north korea.

This latest provocation by North Korea seems to be the one that is the big worry creating some anxiety in the 'free world' and it is understandable why I think.

"But with every threatening missile launch comes the risk it will be one too many. That a US president like Donald Trump will have had enough. And the North will, in the words of a former Australian defence minister, become a "nuclear puddle".

But in that process, the people of North Korea die along with their leader. And not before carnage is also rained on the South, especially the capital Seoul.

If there was a simple way out of this, it probably would have been tried before now. Malcolm Turnbull has clearly signalled we're all the way with the USA, wherever that leads. With tensions high over Beijing's South China Sea claims, and an emerging ISIS threat growing in the Philippines and elsewhere, our neighbourhood could do without extra strains.

But it's here, it's now, and it's dangerous, ready or not."

1st September 2017 - 6hrs ago approximately: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-09-01/us-bombers-drill-over-korean-peninsula-after-latest-north-launch/8862072 "North Korea: US bombers, allies conduct drills over Korean peninsula after latest missile launch"

Tuesday 29th September 2017 http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-08-29/north-koreas-latest-move-is-a-risky-one/8851776 "North Korea missile launch pushes Kim Jong-un further towards confrontation with the United States"

North Korea and Russia

http://abcnews.go.com/International/63-magnitude-explosion-detected-north-korea-usgs/story?id=49591865

St. Pope John Paul II

The Great Mercy Pope

Pope John Paul II, both in his teaching and personal life, strove to live and teach the message of Divine Mercy. As the great Mercy Pope, he wrote an encyclical on Divine Mercy (http://w2.vatican.va/content/john-paul-ii/en/encyclicals/documents/hf_jp-ii_enc_30111980_dives-in-misericordia.html):

"The Message of Divine Mercy has always been near and dear to me… which I took with me to the See of Peter and which it in a sense forms the image of this Pontificate."

In his writings and homilies, he has described Divine Mercy as the answer to the world’s problems and the message of the third millennium. He beatified and canonized Sr. Maria Faustina Kowalska, the nun associated with the message, and he did it in Rome and not in Poland to underscore that Divine Mercy is for the whole world.

Establishing Divine Mercy Sunday for the Entire Church

When Pope John Paul canonized Sr. Faustina (making her St. Faustina), he also, on the same day, surprised the entire world by establishing Divine Mercy Sunday (the feast day associated with the message) as a feast day for the entire Church. The feast day falls on the Second Sunday of the Easter season. On that day, Pope John Paul II declared, "This is the happiest day of my life."

Entrusting the World to Divine Mercy

In 2002, the Pope entrusted the whole world to Divine Mercy when he consecrated the International Shrine of The Divine Mercy in Lagiewniki, a suburb of Krakow in Poland. This is where St. Faustina’s mortal remains are entombed. The saint lived in a convent nearby. The Pope himself remembers as a young man working in the Solvay Quarry, just a few meters from the present-day Shrine. He also says that he had been thinking about Sr. Faustina for a long time when he wrote his encyclical on Divine Mercy. Further, the Holy Father has frequently quoted from the Diary of Saint Maria Faustina Kowalska and has prayed The Chaplet of The Divine Mercy at the saint’s tomb.

HOW TO PRAY THE CHAPLET OF DIVINE MERCY: http://www.thedivinemercy.org/message/devotions/praythechaplet.php

Excerpt from Dives in Misericordia (Rich in Mercy)

St Pope John Paul II

November 1980

HERE

"However, at no time and in no historical period-especially at a moment as critical as our own-can the Church forget the prayer that is a cry for the mercy of God amid the many forms of evil which weigh upon humanity and threaten it. Precisely this is the fundamental right and duty of the Church in Christ Jesus, her right and duty towards God and towards humanity. The more the human conscience succumbs to secularization, loses its sense of the very meaning of the word "mercy," moves away from God and distances itself from the mystery of mercy, the more the Church has the right and the duty to appeal to the God of mercy "with loud cries."135 These "loud cries" should be the mark of the Church of our times, cries uttered to God to implore His mercy, the certain manifestation of which she professes and proclaims as having already come in Jesus crucified and risen, that is, in the Paschal Mystery. It is this mystery which bears within itself the most complete revelation of mercy, that is, of that love which is more powerful than death, more powerful than sin and every evil, the love which lifts man up when he falls into the abyss and frees him from the greatest threats.

Modern man feels these threats. What has been said above in this regard is only a rough outline. Modern man often anxiously wonders about the solution to the terrible tensions which have built up in the world and which entangle humanity. And if at times he lacks the courage to utter the word "mercy," or if in his conscience empty of religious content he does not find the equivalent, so much greater is the need for the Church to utter his word, not only in her own name but also in the name of all the men and women of our time.

Everything that I have said in the present document on mercy should therefore be continually transformed into an ardent prayer: into a cry that implores mercy according to the needs of man in the modern world"

Benedict+dm.jpg

Final words of Jesus to St Faustina:

Mankind will not have Peace until it turns with Trust to My Mercy

Pope_Francis_Divine_Mercy_Vilnius.jpg

Let us turn with Trust in Jesus for Peace in our hearts, on the Korean Peninsula and in the world