An Old School Catholic Message Board

Saint Clare's spirituality

Saintclare2009

Saintclare2009

The spirit of saint Clare is one to admire! "St Clare was the first woman to write her own rule for religious life. The Dominican sisters who were closest to the poor Clare's, both geographically and chronologically had rules against laughing in the choir or making someone else laugh, eating without permission of the abbess, any subtle rebellion in word or deed and much more. Clare's rules were a disappointment to the disciplinarians. She sent the message to her sisters, and the church authorities who approve monastic rules. Not that Franciscans were not serious or strict because they st Francis and st Clare could be both. But that to be Franciscan was a decision made each day, voluntarily for christ. :) The spiritual life is not a path of renunciations.  I really admire st Clare's loving audacity for jesus! :)

Saintclare2009

Thank you, I have prayers of st Claire, which I am enjoying to read. I read a holy life based on saint Bernadette, I love that book too. 

On 8/29/2017 at 1:15 PM, Saintclare2009 said:

The spirit of saint Clare is one to admire! "St Clare was the first woman to write her own rule for religious life. The Dominican sisters who were closest to the poor Clare's, both geographically and chronologically had rules against laughing in the choir or making someone else laugh, eating without permission of the abbess, any subtle rebellion in word or deed and much more. Clare's rules were a disappointment to the disciplinarians. She sent the message to her sisters, and the church authorities who approve monastic rules. Not that Franciscans were not serious or strict because they st Francis and st Clare could be both. But that to be Franciscan was a decision made each day, voluntarily for christ. :) The spiritual life is not a path of renunciations.  I really admire st Clare's loving audacity for jesus! :)

I love on how brave St. Clare was.  She did not give up, even when times were tough.  Her uncle, after her father pass away, wanted her to get married.  But he gave up and Clare became a nun.  Her two sisters and mom became a sister as well.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a book I got off Ebay years ago, and funnily enough, it ended up being recommended reading from the Poor Clare community I was discerning with as it was written by someone in the confraternity associated with their community.

It's kinda a biography filled in with guesses of dialogue and other parts of the lives of the first community of the Poor Ladies that aren't based in historical fact but drawn from the time period that they lived in or something. It reads more like a novel than nonfiction. I liked it.

Clare and Her Sisters: Lovers of the Poor Christ

I nearly forgot the Flowers of Saint Clare. It can take a little searching to find a copy to buy (eBay usually has some). Here's the cover:

51yCSrPqp7L._SX356_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg