An Old School Catholic Message Board

"Proud family watches sister’s first steps"

katherineH

A nice article with some beautiful pictures.  I am completely confused about these sentences though, is this really the sequence of events that took place or is the journalist getting their vocabulary messed up? She took vows four months after her investiture? Her vows kicked off her novice year? Sisters don't profess vows as a novice right? :think:

First came the “investiture ceremony,” whereby Angelique donned a habit and took the name Sister Marie Protectrice de la Foi (French for Mary Protector of the Faith). That ceremony started a several-year formation process. Four months after investiture, Sister Marie Protectrice de la Foi took her first vows, which kicked off her novice year, during which she studied philosophy, liturgy, her community’s spirituality, church history, and other topics.

3 hours ago, katherineH said:

A nice article with some beautiful pictures.  I am completely confused about these sentences though, is this really the sequence of events that took place or is the journalist getting their vocabulary messed up? She took vows four months after her investiture? Her vows kicked off her novice year? Sisters don't profess vows as a novice right? :think:

First came the “investiture ceremony,” whereby Angelique donned a habit and took the name Sister Marie Protectrice de la Foi (French for Mary Protector of the Faith). That ceremony started a several-year formation process. Four months after investiture, Sister Marie Protectrice de la Foi took her first vows, which kicked off her novice year, during which she studied philosophy, liturgy, her community’s spirituality, church history, and other topics.

I think the author is mistaken. I know some communities invest novices a few weeks or months before first profession, but I do not believe the SSVM do this. No vows can be taken by a novice.

23 hours ago, truthfinder said:

I think the author is mistaken. I know some communities invest novices a few weeks or months before first profession, but I do not believe the SSVM do this. No vows can be taken by a novice.

That's what I thought! Thanks for clarifying. 

• 2 weeks later...