An Old School Catholic Message Board

What is YOUR favorite board game?

dUSt

One of the ways I try to get my kids to put down their devices is have family board game nights. We started out with the normal ones, like Monopoly, etc. Then, we started some of the European ones, like Catan, and Carcassonne. I just ordered "Ticket to Ride", but haven't played it yet.

So far, I think the favorite at our house is Settlers of Catan. We also have the Jr edition for the little kids.

The costs of the games adds up, but I justify it by thinking one board game costs less than an average trip to I-Hop--and the games last for years.

What is your favorite board game? Why?

Hotels, if you can find it.  Like Monopoly, but faster and cool buildings.    Other than that, we played cards.  No child should grow up not being able to play poker properly.  

Love playing crib (it was also great growing up because you learned to quickly do mental math), and I've come to like backgammon occasionally

1 hour ago, Anomaly said:

Hotels, if you can find it.  Like Monopoly, but faster and cool buildings.    Other than that, we played cards.  No child should grow up not being able to play poker properly.  

I agree.  My dad taught my siblings and me on how to play.  Once in a while, we have to get our dad to see who really won.

2 hours ago, Anomaly said:

Is it the same game as Hotel Tycoon?

Monopoly,  Life,  Clue, Checkers, UNO, Battleship, Trivial Pursuit, Pictionary were some of my favorites from back in the day. I pretty much grew up playing board games with friends and family. A lot of great memories. I only started playing video games (no Atari--Commodore 64, Nintendo) when I was around 10 or 11. 

And then we used to play Go Fish and I declare war with a deck of cards, among other card games.

Being children of immigrant parents from India, my sister and I were taught this game called Carrom, a hand played version of pool, and Ludo,  basically similar to Sorry.

I think it's amesome that you got your family to play board games. Sure beats staring at screens.

17 hours ago, Seven77 said:

Monopoly,  Life,  Clue, Checkers, UNO, Battleship, Trivial Pursuit, Pictionary were some of my favorites from back in the day. I pretty much grew up playing board games with friends and family. A lot of great memories. I only started playing video games (no Atari--Commodore 64, Nintendo) when I was around 10 or 11. 

And then we used to play Go Fish and I declare war with a deck of cards, among other card games.

Being children of immigrant parents from India, my sister and I were taught this game called Carrom, a hand played version of pool, and Ludo,  basically similar to Sorry.

I think it's amesome that you got your family to play board games. Sure beats staring at screens.

Total agree.  I like playing war (the card game) sometime.

I love risk, because it takes lots of players, it's unpredictable, and it's can get really brutal at the end! I just love those HUGE battles where you literally need one of the little bins to hold all your pieces! 

AveMariaPurissima

I like Life -- I have lots of fun memories of playing it with my friends in the summer.  We always named our spouses and kids in the game too!

More of a card game than a board game, but I really enjoy Apples to Apples too.  With the right group of people that game is hilarious!!!

I really like to play Liverpool Rummy.  If you are playing with a lot of people, this game could take awhile.