An Old School Catholic Message Board

Illegal Aliens vs Undocumented Immigrants

dUSt

Illegal vs Undocumented  

8 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think it has to do with intentionality. "Undocumented" sounds as if the immigrants never received the documents in the mail, or forgot them at home, or lost them on the way, or the dog ate them. I find it hard to believe people would immigrate to another country and simply forget their documents.

Immigrants may not know every detail of the documentation process, but they do know there IS a process. At some point or another, they choose to ignore the process, and go ahead with the immigration.

I went through hoops for 16+ months to immigrate to Canada. Fingerprinted by the FBI, RCMP, St. Pete police, you name it. Lots of paperwork, and I did everything that was asked of me, including a rather extensive medical exam. I never begrudged Canada a single form or question. If you want to live in a country, what's wrong with following the rules?

12 minutes ago, CatherineM said:

I went through hoops for 16+ months to immigrate to Canada. Fingerprinted by the FBI, RCMP, St. Pete police, you name it. Lots of paperwork, and I did everything that was asked of me, including a rather extensive medical exam. I never begrudged Canada a single form or question. If you want to live in a country, what's wrong with following the rules?

I think the wall needs to be built on the north side of the U.S. instead of the south. Justin Bieber has done more damage to this country than every single illegal crossing from Mexico combined.

The charitable term is undocumented immigrants. How can a human being be called "illegal"?

5 hours ago, Luigi said:

I think it has to do with intentionality. "Undocumented" sounds as if the immigrants never received the documents in the mail, or forgot them at home, or lost them on the way, or the dog ate them. I find it hard to believe people would immigrate to another country and simply forget their documents.

Immigrants may not know every detail of the documentation process, but they do know there IS a process. At some point or another, they choose to ignore the process, and go ahead with the immigration.

I personally know people within my own family that came to US legally and went through unfortunate circumstances (stalled court hearings, etc.) that rendered them undocumented.

3 hours ago, CatherineM said:

If you want to live in a country, what's wrong with following the rules?

Sometimes things are easier said than done.

And just something I was thinking about today before I saw this post, the president is seriously considering overturning the executive action that allowed undocumented students to stay. We're talking about innocent kids who came here when they were very young.

Tear down the existing wall, and work with Mexico to fix the economical discrepancy that causes people in Mexico to want to immigrate to this country. A wall is a band-aid. Fix the source of the problem. A better and more prosperous Mexico makes a better neighbor, and is better for all of us. Plus, I want to go back to the days of being able to cross the Rio Grande on a donkey to get some tacos.

4 hours ago, dUSt said:

I think the wall needs to be built on the north side of the U.S. instead of the south. Justin Bieber has done more damage to this country than every single illegal crossing from Mexico combined.

That's what I've been saying too, build the wall up north. 

dominicansoul

Seven went through some scary times with at least one of his family members being threaten with deportation. At least I recall your cousin, I believe.   I think our immigration system is terrible and  in need of repair.  

With that said, I agree with keeping America safe and secure from terrorists and criminals and bad peeps, etc. but im  a bit disappointed that trump didn't keep his word that he would only deport criminals.  It looks like he's deporting everybody.  Even those who have worked and lived here for decades and have been productive members of our society.  

Our immigration system needs an overhaul NOW.

I also believe in calling it what it is, illegal immigration.  I'm not one to mince words.  I'd rather be blunt and truthful.  I don't go for all the pc whining over stupid words.  "Sticks and stones may break my bones but names never hurt me."  I guess that nursery rhyme is being eliminated in the liberal indoctrination of our public schools.  It's more like "sticks and stones are useful in silencing conservative opinions, and names trigger and send me rioting in the streets."  Kind of a mouthful but the kindergarteners will memorize that and become great little leftists...

Ive been called all the worst names in the book.  I'm still standing.  Insulted maltreated spit on punched knocked down mocked and ridiculed.  And that's just here on phatmass lmao.  

I have an idea, for every productive illegal alien who lives the American way of life fruitfully and with pride in our country,  let's trade and deport a liberal in their place.  That would make America great again!  

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/31/2017 at 3:40 PM, CatherineM said:

Many people are too worried about being murdered,, raped, etc. back home. Crossing the border is dangerous. Many mothers and children do it. They aren't immigrating because they want to explore another country. There are laws of human nature that are more important than immigration laws. When people are economically hopeless, living in violence and poverty, human nature is to seek out an alternative, to do what you have to do. They leave behind their families, kids, parents, language, culture. Or, they don't leave them behind, they have to live with the separation every day, and do what they can to send money home. The insistence on "process" and "paperwork" assumes a relatively stable life where you're just changing your address. Every country is going to have to have immigration laws, just as a practical matter. But immigration is a human problem that goes beyond any country, any law, any process. We can decide whether we want to respond with fear that closes us in on ourselves until we eat each other, or we can decide whether we are going to deal with the problem knowing that we are all human before we are American.

But not all humans crossing into our border illegally are as you describe era.  It takes a few bad eggs to ruin it for everyone...