An Old School Catholic Message Board

When does the soul leave the body?

JJJPK

So, recently my pastor was giving a sermon about how he gave someone last rites after they were dead. He believes that because the body was still warm, there was a soul present. The way he described it, the person had already been confirmed dead for some time when he arrived. I hate to disagree, but I don't believe that that is correct. I have a sister in medical school, who thinks that as soon as the brain stem is dead, the soul leaves the body. This also leads to questions like, what about people who are resuscitated? I am no medical or theological expert, so I'll be interested to hear y'alls opinions! 

Yeah the traditional practice (as told by an FSSP priest) is as long as the person is still warm. Souls leaving bodies is a matter of theology; physical death is a matter for science. Souls animate bodies, and there would be no contradiction in believing that the souls departs immediately, or might stick around for a little while (but this would be rarer). 

5 hours ago, truthfinder said:

Souls leaving bodies is a matter of theology philosophy; physical death is a matter for science.

ftfy

1 hour ago, Jack4 said:

ftfy

I'm actually going to argue this one: while yes, philosophical, I'm referring to the authority of the church in prescribing to what extent a dead person may be administered the last rites, and the theology of the relationship between God, the soul, and the animation of bodies.