An Old School Catholic Message Board

Visitation Monasteries

maturediscerner

maturediscerner

Has anyone had any contact with any of the different Visitation Monasteries?  I have contacted several (won't mention which) and although everyone's observations are subjective, and if I ultimately decide to pursue a vocation at one of them, it will of course be based on how the Lord speaks to me, I would just like to get some perspectives from the Phamily.  You are welcome to send me a personal message if you'd prefer not to answer publicly. 

Thank you for all your support.

- In Christ,

Maturediscerner  :nun3:

Love the gentleness of Salesian spirituality...and writings of St. Francis de Sales and St. Jane Frances de Chantal!  All of the U.S. Visitation nuns have wonderful websites & most have Facebook pages!  There are many "mature" vocations at the following:

Mobile, AL -- http://www.visitationmonasterymobile.org

Rockville, VA -- http://www.visitmontemaria.org

The Philadelphia, PA & Toledo, OH monasteries likewise accept later-in-life vocations!  Tyringham, MA, however,  has changed their age limit...but it certainly wouldn't hurt to inquire!  My prayers are with you! :pray:

It's my understanding that the monastery in Brooklyn (along with the Georgetown, St. Louis, Minneapolis foundations) belong to the Second Federation of Visitandines.   While the First Federation communities (Toledo, Rockville, Mobile, Philadelphia, Tyringham) lead a purely contemplative life with papal enclosure, the Second Federation sisters add apostolic work (education for the most part) to their contemplative life.  They also wear a modified (or no) habit.

Hi maturediscerner,

I have been discerning with the Visitation Sisters in Tyringham for a couple of years now. They are a wonderful community.

Feel free to PM me if you would like more info.

Zoe

Can't forget the Visitation Monastery in Snellville, GA! :)  No website, but info & pic's can be found in the Georgia Bulletin, archived VS threads & a mini-Facebook page!