An Old School Catholic Message Board

Steve Bannon and the Catholic Church

dUSt

dominicansoul

"The DACA program was established in 2012 by President Barrack Obama. On Tuesday, Attorney General Jeff Sessions announced the Trump administration had decided to end it if Congress does not come up with a permanent solution before March 5, 2018."

Doesn't sound like anything is happening to it yet---let's hope a "permanent solution" is put into place by the deadline.  But these are politicians, so I doubt it.  

Bannon's words don't help anyone, especially him.  

Bishops have an obligation to speak for the disenfranchised poor.  Although I do not think we always have to agree with their opinions.  I certainly believe our immigration system is pretty messed up.  I continue to be disappointed in the non-violent, non-criminal  immigrants being deported when I had hoped only the hardened criminal illegals would be deported first off.  Those who are here for no fault of their own are hardly criminal.

Sadly, in order to fix some of the out of control, broken, unconstitutional policies of our nation, people are going to get hurt in the process.  I don't see any other way...

He's just another guy with an opinion… This is not merely about the sovereignty of the nation, it's about Catholicism in practice.  Human dignity always trumps--no pun intended--issues like the right to sovereignty and borders. Some people are cafeteria Catholics when it comes to doctrine, and some people are cafeteria Catholics when it comes to practice and this guy seems to be in the latter group.

And Mr. Bannon should be ashamed of himself for ascribing such self-serving motives to the bishops who are speaking out.

Edited by Seven77

KnightofChrist

The Church in the United States would be suffering in terms of attendance without mass immigration, legal or illegal, she would also be poorer without the billions of dollars in aid from Uncle Sam for immigrates, legal or illegal. 

Edited by KnightofChrist

dominicansoul
11 hours ago, Seven77 said:

He's just another guy with an opinion… This is not merely about the sovereignty of the nation, it's about Catholicism in practice.  Human dignity always trumps--no pun intended--issues like the right to sovereignty and borders. Some people are cafeteria Catholics when it comes to doctrine, and some people are cafeteria Catholics when it comes to practice and this guy seems to be in the latter group.

And Mr. Bannon should be ashamed of himself for ascribing such self-serving motives to the bishops who are speaking out.

I think both are wrong.  Bannon for saying such a ludicrous thing and the bishops for protesting when DACA isn't going away UNLESS politicians cannot agree to fixing it and coming up with a solution.  That's exactly what trump asked for and like all things, he's getting crucified over trying to make constitutional something that is not constitutional.  

I wish the bishops wouldn't have knee jerk reactions like liberals do over things they hear on CNN.  

On 9/9/2017 at 10:22 AM, dominicansoul said:

I think both are wrong.  Bannon for saying such a ludicrous thing and the bishops for protesting when DACA isn't going away UNLESS politicians cannot agree to fixing it and coming up with a solution.  That's exactly what trump asked for and like all things, he's getting crucified over trying to make constitutional something that is not constitutional.  

I wish the bishops wouldn't have knee jerk reactions like liberals do over things they hear on CNN.  

DACA is gone already.

1 hour ago, Seven77 said:

DACA is gone already.

It is not.   It is a half-ass loophole done for political purposes and does not resolve the issues.  

The US needs to fix the immigration issue permanently.    Not having immigration rules is not a fix.   This has been a problem for decades.    It is ignorant to think DACA really fixed anything. 

Your bishops should be arguing for a permanent fix, not playing as pawns to the liberal PC crowd.    There is nothing wrong with a border wall if you ensure there is a compassionate gate as a requirement of the wall.  

18 minutes ago, Anomaly said:

It is not.   It is a half-ass loophole done for political purposes and does not resolve the issues.  

The US needs to fix the immigration issue permanently.    Not having immigration rules is not a fix.   This has been a problem for decades.    It is ignorant to think DACA really fixed anything. 

Your bishops should be arguing for a permanent fix, not playing as pawns to the liberal PC crowd.    There is nothing wrong with a border wall if you ensure there is a compassionate gate as a requirement of the wall.  

DACA "is a half-ass loophole done for political purposes and does not resolve the issues" that has been rescinded

Of course the US needs to Fix the problem permanently-- that's what the bishops have been asking for all along: immigration reform,  permanent immigration reform.  I agree that we need a permanent fix beyond an executive action.  My bishops want the same. They are not pawns, they are bishops--- your chess game is probably atrocious too (not that I'm great at chess... lol).  The bishops merely want the executive action in place until Congress acts. Why rescind it before the permanent fix comes? To give an ultimatum to legislators to fix the problem? What if they don't fix the problem in time? Kids are going to be worried sick but who cares about that.

Some lives matter; certainly not all.  

DACA is partly unconstitutional, not fully, in my opinion. if an illegal Dreamer makes himself obvious, he has to go under the law, and daca undid that. but it's not so farfetched to think prioritizing criminal immigrants over Dreamers is so bad.... because there's limited funding and ability to do everything. that is in fact all obama did, and his stated justification, as far as that goes. of course like i said he also make it legal to be a dreamer regardless of how easy it would be to get rid of ya and that was wrong.

i guess if it costs a lot to get rid of a dreamer with legal fees and such, even if it looks like it should be easy, that money would be better spent on higher value illegal immigrants. i dont know enough there so i might support daca completely if that were the case. 

'faithfully executing' the law as the constitution requires, requires using common sense. in fact, if anything, it'd be wrong and unconstitutional to try anything else. 

DACA is not rescinded.   It expires in six months. 

Pay attention.   

Instead of being stupid and raging that it is gone, put pressure on both parties to come up with a viable solution.   Immigration fixes have been a political D vs R issue for decades.  Instead of picking one of those two sides, work in a mutually acceptable solution.   Such as a wall with a gate.   It does not need to be an either / or game.  

12 minutes ago, Anomaly said:

DACA is not rescinded.   It expires in six months. 

Pay attention.   

Instead of being stupid and raging that it is gone, put pressure on both parties to come up with a viable solution.   Immigration fixes have been a political D vs R issue for decades.  Instead of picking one of those two sides, work in a mutually acceptable solution.   Such as a wall with a gate.   It does not need to be an either / or game.  

Ok, if you want to parse words DACA is being rescinded, the repeal of it is suspended for six months.  This is the language that the politicians have used.

And, I am actually agreeing with you on the rest except perhaps the wall.

Also, I might add, no new applications to the program are being accepted as of the president's decision, so there's that to be "stupid and raging"  about.