An Old School Catholic Message Board

The OP nun who helped to identify DNA

DameAgnes

I was educated by the Adrian Dominicans.  Brilliant women!!!  They are doing well today also, despite the fact that they are very post Vatican II.  They're really wonderful, prayerful, educated and kind and a delightful religious congregation.  I however have partnered with the Monroe IHM's and am preparing to be an Associate.  Prayers please.

Welcome, Chasmi! I am also a Monroe, MI, IHM Associate. I am on the Associate Council, so I hope we shall meet sometime. We must pray for each other. [Note my Icon, which is of Mother Theresa Maxis Duchemin, IHM Founder.]

Sister Leticia
23 hours ago, chasmi said:

I was educated by the Adrian Dominicans.  Brilliant women!!!  They are doing well today also, despite the fact that they are very post Vatican II.  They're really wonderful, prayerful, educated and kind and a delightful religious congregation.  I however have partnered with the Monroe IHM's and am preparing to be an Associate.  Prayers please.

Hi Chasmi

By "doing well" I presume you mean they have vocations and several sisters in formation. (I'm in the UK, where we have our own Dominican sisters, so I don't know the Adrian OPs)

You say this is "despite" being very post-Vatican II. In fact, the women who have joined them have undoubtedly done so because they have carried out deep and extensive post-Vatican II renewal. What person A finds attractive would be a turn-off for person B, and vice versa. That's part of our wide and glorious diversity!

I looked at their website and would ask that others thoroughly do the same before taking anyone's word on this forum for whether this community is orthodox/not so.

16 hours ago, Marsabielle said:

I looked at their website and would ask that others thoroughly do the same before taking anyone's word on this forum for whether this community is orthodox/not so.

Excuse me, but do you know anyone in the community or are you personally familiar with them? They are a pontifically approved congregation that has been in existence for nearly a century with hundreds of members. If they are approved by the Vatican, that is enough for me, rather than casting aspersions on them.

I know many  members of this congregation, and they are holy, prayerful, and remarkable women. Frankly, I find such challenges to their legitimacy to be disturbing. Please be careful!

Sister Leticia

I've looked at this, and the first paragraph says 

The spiritual life of the Adrian Dominican Sisters on the Motherhouse campus revolves daily around individual prayer and contemplation and common liturgies, including Morning Prayer, Mass, and Vespers. Reconciliation, communal anointing, and other sacramental celebrations grace our calendars, as do Feast Day celebrations. 

All very orthodox. 

There's also a lot of information about the prayer groups they facilitate, to satisfy peoples' deep hunger for God. 

So I wonder if what disturbed you was the reference to things with which you might be unfamiliar, such as Taize prayer, or the Chartres Cathedral labyrinth? - which I can assure you are very mainstream and orthodox. Or maybe it was celebrating the rhythms of the seasons? Some people regard this as "New Age", but in fact it is deeply rooted in old Christian traditions. Mediaeval Catholics - especially in rural communities - had no difficulties with celebrating the natural seasonal cycle, and giving thanks for spring (especially after a long, hard winter) and at harvest time. But much of this became lost with urbanisation and more "enlightened" thinking, and labelled as ignorant superstitions.

Elsewhere on the sisters' site there are several references to their concerns for the earth and ecology - concerns which undoubtedly echo those of Pope Francis and Laudato Si. 

At any rate, based solely on their website (as I said earlier, these sisters are not in my country so I don't know any of them personally) I see no reason to challenge their orthodoxy.

Sister,

I've asked a moderator to place this in the debate forum so your points can be debated.

Thank you for your presence on the forums.

Please explain how slandering (implying a lack of "orthodoxy") a religious congregation that is in good-standing (and has CICLSAL approval) could possibly lead to a charitable and fruitful "debate"?

23 hours ago, Hna.Caridad said:

Please explain how slandering (implying a lack of "orthodoxy") a religious congregation that is in good-standing (and has CICLSAL approval) could possibly lead to a charitable and fruitful "debate"?

In all charity, I suppose by quoting relevant Church magisterial documents and CatholicAnswers.

Until I hear back from the Mediator of Meh, I am going to bow out.

In the Church,

Mar

Catholic Answers is now Magisterial? Really?

Mar, you come into a group where people have been participating for years, and propose yourself as some kind of arbiter of orthodoxy. And then declare that you are doing this "in all charity"? Can you understand why some of us may find this inappropriate?