An Old School Catholic Message Board

Magnum Principium

dUSt

§2. It is for the Apostolic See to order the sacred liturgy of the universal Church, publish liturgical books, recognise adaptations approved by the Episcopal Conference according to the norm of law, and exercise vigilance that liturgical regulations are observed faithfully everywhere.

§3. It pertains to the Episcopal Conferences to faithfully prepare versions of the liturgical books in vernacular languages, suitably accommodated within defined limits, and to approve and publish the liturgical books for the regions for which they are responsible after the confirmation of the Apostolic See.

so, from this I understand that the Apostolic See still has the final say in recognizing the adaptations which must be faithfully prepared, within defined limits…

Wait a second,  Apostolic See means Vatican right? It would not make any sense if it doesn't.

KnightofChrist

As with Amoris Laetitia, I fear, it will mean and be interpreted differently even contradictory depending on the Conference, or even between individual cardinal or bishop.

Edited by KnightofChrist

24 minutes ago, KnightofChrist said:

As with Amoris Laetitia, I fear, it will mean and be interpreted differently even contradictory depending on the Conference, or even between individual cardinal or bishop.

Precisely. Although this motu proprio supposed to limit changes to episcopal conferences (not one diocese having a translation different from another). However, one of the things that the 2012 translations was supposed to do was unite the same-language conferences into having very close translations (taking into account a few particular words which meant something different in the various areas: ie - UK, US, and Australia).

One wonders if the bishops will apply this motu proprio with as much vigor as they did summorum pontificum <_<

Edited by truthfinder