An Old School Catholic Message Board

Faith or Reason

JHEFFU

In spite of the negative views on philosophy, some say that philosophy should be separated from Christian Faith.  In order for philosophy to be true to its objective and method, How can we reconcile the encyclical letter of St. John Paul II (Fides et Ratio) in response to the plight of philosophy in contemporary times. Contemporary times are has different approach in terms of their way of thinking.

St. John Paul II discussed that there are various reasons for this disenchantment. First, there is the distrust of reason found in much contemporary philosophy, which has largely abandoned metaphysical study of the ultimate human questions in order to concentrate upon problems which are more detailed and restricted, at times even purely formal. Another reason, it should be said, is the misunderstanding which has arisen especially with regard to the 'human sciences'. It stresses the positive value of scientific research for a deeper knowledge of the mystery of the human being. But the invitation addressed to theologians to engage the human sciences and apply them properly in their enquiries should not be interpreted as an implicit authorization to marginalize philosophy or to put something else in its place in pastoral formation and in the hearing of faith. A further factor is the renewed interest in the inculturation of faith. The life of the young Churches in particular has brought to light, together with sophisticated modes of thinking, an array of expressions of popular wisdom; and this constitutes a genuine cultural wealth of traditions. Yet the study of traditional ways must go hand in hand with philosophical enquiry, an enquiry which will allow the positive traits of popular wisdom to emerge and forge the necessary link with the proclamation of the Gospel" (#61)[Fides et Ratio].

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

I think there is faith and then there is love, love needs no reason to love it just does because it is good. Reason can get tied up in excusing bad behaviour but also can be used to look deeper into any mystery to better understand and know what is true,seek and you will find, knock and the door will be open. Faith is an utter mystery to me it seems to just manifest itself as a gift from god some are looking for it and it suddenly appears and others not looking and it suddenly appears, faith in the sense of obedience and faithfulness seems to be a growing thing.

• 3 weeks later...
GreenScapularedHuman

Philosophy has not abandoned metaphysics nor epistemology... and there is a whole section of philosophy called 'the philosophy of religion'. But I tend to agree philosophy is not and should not be theology with all  ecumenicism, solidarity, respect, sensitivity, pluralism, and liberty to each and everyone's religious background.

SaintOfVirtue

Indeed, the church has maintained that faith and reason coexist in harmony and are mutually beneficial.  This is most clearly evident in Pope Leo XIII's 1893 encyclical Providentissimus Deus where he states that, "truth cannot contradict truth." Granted, he says this with regards to science and religion but the principle is true here: reason cannot contradict faith nor faith, reason. If there is a contradiction then either scripture is misunderstood or the implications on scripture exceed the extent of the facts actuality. 

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

I think the pope is talking about scripture and sacred tradition. 

I was thinking though can reason be reason without imagination to discover how the many known facts connect, thaz why science is tricky, conduced logic of probability without exacts. Mathematics on the other hand is one of the languages of god, it is precise and exact and only 1 formula to get the correct answer,lol, mind blowing, I do respect science though if understood it isn't infallible half the time in that its the theory of probability and ranges from 1%-99% fact with exceptions to most rules. Now philosophy though is the greatest entertainment known to man. What are we talking about again, reason,theory or philosophy. What is reason exactly? Honest I'm unsure. :(