An Old School Catholic Message Board

This is why Bishop Barron is a bishop in LA…

Seven77

Apparently, Bishop Barron will be speaking to employees at Facebook Headquarters in California on how to have religious discussions and the importance of having them. This is great news because Facebook is a very secular platform, in the negative sense, generally speaking. They are willing to listen to a religious leader… This can facilitate a greater awareness and understanding of the place that religion has in society, especially Christianity which is often looked down on.  It will be good for Christians including Catholics to hear this too,  so that we can represent better, with charity and compassion and reasoned arguments. Building bridges. So it'll be live-streamed (on Facebook of course!)… I just saw this in an email and thought I'd pass on the information:

How to Have a Religious Discussion

6pm-7pm ET (3pm-4pm PT)

27 minutes ago, Era Might said:

God I hate Facebook. "If the product is free, you are the product."

But then, Phatmass is free too...  and so is air and water for that matter---lol.  I never really liked the idea of FB but eventually gave in and joined… I think that was 09 or something. The only reason why I did was when I read something that Pope Benedict said about it… About social media being mission territory basically.

I think it's about turning things upside down--- or right side up.   Everything that's not intrinsically evil can be used for great good if it's used properly.  At the same time, I get that quote. It's true, being on Facebook can literally destroy you and turn you into a slave for consumerism and rob you of the ability to feel and think, if you're not careful.  Putting out into the deep is not without risk, but as long as we are in the boat with the Fisherman Shepherd we won't fall--- or if we do, he'll pick us up and have us walking on the water…

Edited by Seven77