An Old School Catholic Message Board

First Confederate Symbols, Now...Raw Cotton???

dominicansoul

We're actively removing all symbols of the Confederacy from the American landscape.  Names of buildings, names of streets, names of cities, names of schools...if they are even remotely reflecting the confederacy and glorifying the south, they are deemed racists and then removed.  

At least you can argue that Confederate symbols have the stigma of being pro-slavery...

BUT THIS?????

This lady complained that raw cotton on display was "offensive" because black slaves picked cotton in them confederacy days!!  (Actually, many whites did too, and hispanics...probably some orientals...mainly all of america picked cotton back in them days...!!!!!)

When is this stupidity going to stop?   Don't you think this is getting to be a bit ridiculous?????

STUPID.JPG

i think people getting upset about this is ridiculous.  Although I also think people over exaggerating other's people freak outs are  ridiculous too.  I saw this article today on foxnews and thought to myself that here the news goes again pandering to their viewer base.  This cotton complaint was from a random twitter user.  Why on earth are they covering what one random person posts on twitter other than to rile up their viewer base.  So many people do and say stupid things on twitter these days.  Why are we out looking for the crazies and extrapolating it to cover an entire genre of people.  I think a lot of liberals are off the rails.  Although just because one random person on twitter complains about something and says something stupid does not mean I attribute it to the majority of liberals.  Same goes for the random racist who is a conservative.  

As much as the media gives these people the time of day, the ones who are really at fault is the american people.  At the end of the day the news media is about ratings and will cover things that get them ratings.  What gets ratings is people over exaggerating about  things.  People just need to stop freaking out about what one random person, movie star, politician says on twitter.  

This is a random social media post in a country of 320 million. Trump threatened to commit genocide against North Korea today, in front of the entire world at the UN. Literally, and I quote, "we will have no choice but to totally destroy North Korea." Per Wikipedia:

Genocide is intentional action to destroy a people (usually defined as an ethnic, national, racial, or religious group) in whole or in part. The hybrid word "genocide" is a combination of the Greek word génos ("race, people") and the Latin suffix -cide ("act of killing").[1] The United Nations Genocide Convention, which was established in 1948, defines genocide as "acts committed with intent to destroy, in whole or in part, a national, ethnic, racial or religious group".

There are bigger things going on than some lady's Facebook post about cotton.

It's wrong on one level for sure: there are much more flattering options to use when it comes to decorating your house with dried florals.

It's a simple tweet, but the perfect example of how hysterical certain parts of our society have become.  Millions feel like she does, I'm positive.  I see examples like this every single day because I work with a bunch of millennials and liberal professors.  Every little thing has to be re-thought-re-analyzed-re-searched re-thought and re-analyzed again lest it come off as "offensive."  I'm talking the most innocent of all things (such as the acronym "faqs" for example.  Heaven forbid we use that term anymore for "frequently asked questions," or even the abbreviation "trans" for "transcripts!"  The horror!)  I am seeing the deterioration of common sense amongst the ones in our country who used to facilitate critical thought and reason.  Differing opinions are chastised, there's no place for it in higher education anymore.  Either you tow the liberal line, or you are immediately branded a racist, homophobic, zenophobic, war mongering fascist misogynist pig.  Doesn't matter what race you really are, all us conservatives are KKK now a days.  

And now cotton is too.  Lol.  :smile3:

2 hours ago, Era Might said:

This is a random social media post in a country of 320 million. Trump threatened to commit genocide against North Korea today, in front of the entire world at the UN. Literally, and I quote, "we will have no choice but to totally destroy North Korea." Per Wikipedia:

Genocide is intentional action to destroy a people (usually defined as an ethnic, national, racial, or religious group) in whole or in part. The hybrid word "genocide" is a combination of the Greek word génos ("race, people") and the Latin suffix -cide ("act of killing").[1] The United Nations Genocide Convention, which was established in 1948, defines genocide as "acts committed with intent to destroy, in whole or in part, a national, ethnic, racial or religious group".

There are bigger things going on than some lady's Facebook post about cotton.

Start another thread about it, this is about that simple yet, telling tweet.

1 hour ago, Seven77 said:

Wow, I mean this with all charity, but that lady's *opinion on social media* is hardly worth getting worked up about. 

O8Wz9oF.png

Yes, you are the most charitable person on Phatmass, I know it.  But i'm not worked up over it.  I don't really get worked up about anything except infanticide.  I just thought it was a hilarious yet poignant sign of this generation's lack of reasoning...

KnightofChrist

This reminds me of the article, I think, I read on Salon, about the National Anthem being Neo-Confederate.

The first time I heard about trans-gender and trans-species insanity was on Facebook, Twitter and Tumblr.

This got 20k shares, so, not so little.

7 minutes ago, KnightofChrist said:

This reminds me of the article, I think, I read on Salon, about the National Anthem being Neo-Confederate.

The first time I heard about trans-gender and trans-species insanity was on Facebook, Twitter and Tumblr.

This got 20k shares, so, not so little.

20,000 random people on facebook shared this.  just because someone shared it doesn't mean they support it.  i am sure many conservatives shared this because they think this is ridiculous.  

it comes down to people getting worked up by someone else who makes a dumb comment on facebook.  people make dumb comments on facebook all the time,  conservatives and liberals. just because a person is a liberal or a conservative and says something stupid doesn't mean the majority of the group agrees with them. 

KnightofChrist
1 hour ago, havok579257 said:

20,000 random people on facebook shared this.  just because someone shared it doesn't mean they support it.  i am sure many conservatives shared this because they think this is ridiculous.  

it comes down to people getting worked up by someone else who makes a dumb comment on facebook.  people make dumb comments on facebook all the time,  conservatives and liberals. just because a person is a liberal or a conservative and says something stupid doesn't mean the majority of the group agrees with them.

Ya'member when you got all worked up 'cause some girl on the interweb called a President by *gasp* his middle name? 

11 hours ago, havok579257 said:

Anybody I've seen share it, has done so to mock it.  I've looked over hundreds of comments and I don't think I've seen one who agrees.

Honestly, it seems like this is more of a case where someone posted something absolutely stupid and those sick of the PC culture jumped on one person's post in an attempt to absolutely obliterate a person for a stupid comment.  Basically, a sort of doxing.

KnightofChrist

Just amazing to me how lefty insanity seems to always be so easily dismissed on here but Trump "says" something the sky falls. Lol

Here's that article about the National Anthem being Neo-Confederate btw. The left is getting more and more wacko. I think they want to ripped down every American symbol and even rename America in the end. 

The cotton thing isn't that far out from the already far out left. Remember you can be a dog if you feel like you're a dog. Or a cat you know whatever. And people who don't like it are bigots.

http://www.salon.com/2017/08/27/it-is-time-to-examine-the-words-and-the-origins-of-our-national-anthem-another-neo-confederate-symbol_partner/

1 hour ago, KnightofChrist said:

Just amazing to me how lefty insanity seems to always be so easily dismissed on here but Trump "says" something the sky falls. Lol

Here's that article about the National Anthem being Neo-Confederate btw. The left is getting more and more wacko. I think they want to ripped down every American symbol and even rename America in the end. 

The cotton thing isn't that far out from the already far out left. Remember you can be a dog if you feel like you're a dog. Or a cat you know whatever. And people who don't like it are bigots.

http://www.salon.com/2017/08/27/it-is-time-to-examine-the-words-and-the-origins-of-our-national-anthem-another-neo-confederate-symbol_partner/

i put way more stock in what our president or any president of any country for that matter says compared to some random person on the internet.  are we seriously comparing someone who leads the most powerful nation in the world and the things he says to some random person who shops at Hobby Lobby?

58 minutes ago, KnightofChrist said:

Left: Gone with the wind is also racist/Neo-Confederate.

Also left: The Trump assassination play is art

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2017/08/yes-gone-with-the-wind-is-another-neo-confederate-monument.html

again, your talking about random people who post on the internet.  they don't represent the majority of the country.  they don't speak for all liberals.  as stupid as I think this protest is, i don't attribute it to the majority of liberals.  

at the end of the day there is no equality between the dumb things President Trump says and what random people on the internet say.  one leads the nation.  the other holds not position of power in our government.

13 hours ago, KnightofChrist said:

Ya'member when you got all worked up 'cause some girl on the interweb called a President by *gasp* his middle name? 

no the same thing.  i didn't go on other mediums and blast out that someone of phatmass was calling obama, husien and they were being offensive.  if i had copied the debate and ran and posted it on another medium, then you would have a valid point.