An Old School Catholic Message Board

Responsorial Psalm

Peace

Is it just me, or does the way that the Responsorial Psalm is done in Mass just seem a bit off?

I can't say exactly why, but something just feels a bit off about it. . .

1 hour ago, Peace said:

Is it just me, or does the way that the Responsorial Psalm is done in Mass just seem a bit off?

How is it done at Mass, how is it done outside of the Mass?

3 hours ago, Peace said:

Offhand? Off key? Off beat? Off kilter? Off the chain? Off the wall? Off the charts? 

Like... Shouldn't we all be singing the entire psalm in unison? Like... Why would we sing this psalm in response to this reading? Like... song lyrics make sense only when they've been set to an appropriate melody and you find the melodies don't reveal the meaning of the lyrics? Like... you don't understand the poetic devices of a culture that's three millennia old and about as many miles away? LIke... the cantor/choir is turning our prayerful response into production number/spotlight solo? 

"...seem/feel a bit off" is too vague for any kind of intelligent reply. 

On 9/26/2017 at 12:49 AM, Luigi said:

Offhand? Off key? Off beat? Off kilter? Off the chain? Off the wall? Off the charts? 

Like... Shouldn't we all be singing the entire psalm in unison? Like... Why would we sing this psalm in response to this reading? Like... song lyrics make sense only when they've been set to an appropriate melody and you find the melodies don't reveal the meaning of the lyrics? Like... you don't understand the poetic devices of a culture that's three millennia old and about as many miles away? LIke... the cantor/choir is turning our prayerful response into production number/spotlight solo? 

"...seem/feel a bit off" is too vague for any kind of intelligent reply. 

I feel your pain. Yeah, something about it seems off to me, but I am having difficulty describing in words what it is. I was hoping that maybe someone here who has felt the same could help me with that.

But to give a little more detail, I would say that musically / aesthetically it seems "off" to me, mainly in the interaction between the cantor, who sings the main part of the psalm, and the part where the laity participates in between each verse of the psalm, by saying the short line (not quite sure what that is called - the "response" perhaps?).

For some reason I have felt that it does not really mesh well aesthetically.

As for the content (words) themselves - no issues there. . .

On 9/25/2017 at 9:47 PM, Era Might said:

Feels fine to me.

Are you back in church? That is a welcome development.