An Old School Catholic Message Board

NFL and the National Anthem

dUSt

@dominicansoul I know you're hispanic, are you white though? There is a distinction to be made, not that you have to answer. Race classifications are in flux anyway, but a lot of hispanic people appear to be white and that can affect how they are perceived by others as "minority" or not.

Obviously you don't have to answer. I'm just curious.

I also heard an African American priest (in a letter after that summer of publicized police killings) say that the word "minority" carries with it negative connotations, suggesting that people of color are somehow less. He exhorted people to not using that word. I think it makes sense. Language is powerful.

1 hour ago, Ice_nine said:

@dominicansoul I know you're hispanic, are you white though? There is a distinction to be made, not that you have to answer. Race classifications are in flux anyway, but a lot of hispanic people appear to be white and that can affect how they are perceived by others as "minority" or not.

I also heard an African American priest (in a letter after that summer of publicized police killings) say that the word "minority" carries with it negative connotations, suggesting that people of color are somehow less. He exhorted people to not using that word. I think it makes sense. Language is powerful.

It was Bishop Braxton that made that comment about labeling minority in the long post above by Hana.Caridad.  He also questions the use of the term "white privilege" as possibly not being conducive to bringing down racial barriers.    

Both terms tend to be generalizations and are stereotype labels that may not be applicable.   I had to come back and read it a few times, but it is an excellent and thoughtful essay.     Though I am an exCatholic, it's Catholics like Braxton that I have always been able to respect and learn from, despite theological disagreement.  Everyone involved in this thread should read Bishop Braxton's essay. 

Edited by Anomaly

22 hours ago, havok579257 said:

I've made up my mind by what you have personally states.  You said liberalism is all wrong and I am pretty sure you called it a disease.  You or anyone for that matter can not have an open mind talking to someone when that's your mind set.  You have already made up your mind before talking to someone.

Your own words state your close minded.

You're. 

1 hour ago, Ice_nine said:

Lol. No one puts ds in a box. If you want to categorize her she's her own beloved daughter of God and of the Catholic Church . 

The thing I don’t get is when Tim Tebow took a knee on the football field he was ridiculed and mocked for showing religious conviction and gratitude for his blessings.

Colin Kaepernick is famous for refusing to stand to attention during the playing of the American national anthem.  Kaepernick decided to either remain seated or kneel during renditions of the Star Spangled Banner in support of Black Lives Matter and to protest police violence against black people.

They’re both Christian football players, and they’re both known for kneeling on the field, although for very different reasons.

Tebow was white Christian and virtuous.  Plus he loves this country.  Apparently NFL bosses couldn't stand the guy...

There were rumours Colin was converting  to Islam.  His racist Islamic girlfriend/wife? is a leader in the BLM movement, part of the reason Colin's been so radicalized.   I think he's kept that under wraps to stifle "islaMaphobia" since hes taken to dissing America.  

2 hours ago, Ice_nine said:

Oh I could never be mistaken for white lol.  I'm as brown as ranch style beans.  

Thanks for the advice.   I Hate the word "minority" I've only used it in debates to make a point that I'm not a white person and yet I don't go along with the minority mindset.  I grew up in a racist environment that I innocently couldn't understand for the life of me.  I was raised in a German town, went to catholic school there.  All my chums were white, with a sprinkling of blacks and Hispanic.  Not one of us knew we were different just that we looked different.  We all loved each other though and are still good friends to this day.  

It was when I moved to public school that I got my first whiff that those hispanic kids over there hated them white boys over there.  Funny thing is black kids joined the white kids on picking on the hispanics.   There didn't seem to be a racial problem between those two groups.  Racism doesn't follow it's own rules I guess lol.   And I was definitely caught in the middle, because I wanted to enjoy and love  everybody around me, but these kids were taught to be racist.  The white girls and boys would talk to me uneasily but I couldn't be seen with them once their parents rolled up to pick em up.  The Mexican kids hated me cos I didn't go along with the la raza attitude they all had that white people were the devil and how come I didn't know any Spanish!  This weird experience lasted until 6th grade when Matt, a popular white boy fell in love with Margie a popular Hispanic girl.  After that racism was kicked to the side as all the white boys started opening their eyes to how gorgeous Hispanic girls were lololol.  We all saw less and less fights.  

Sadly the worst cases of racism came to me in catholic parishes and when I was in the convent.  So yes I do know racism still exists but not to the extent the liberal media wants you to believe.  If we all really hated each other we wouldn't have seen the outpouring of heroic acts between people of all colors creeds and parties during these horrible floods caused by the hurricanes.  If we really hated each other you would have seen people not helping colored people and leaving them to drown or rot away in their flooded homes.  If we really hated one another no one would have pitched in their donations to help Houston with its heavy black population.   they raised like over 500 million?? Don't believe the tales of massive oppression, sure there is still racism and I figure it will always exist,  but our country is heading forwards not Backwards. 

2 hours ago, vee said:

Lol. No one puts ds in a box. If you want to categorize her she's her own beloved daughter of God and of the Catholic Church . 

Someday we all go into a box and deep into the ground.  And hopefully I learn to be a better daughter of God and The Church.

Vee don't get your hopes up that doesn't mean I'm entering Carmel...

1 hour ago, dominicansoul said:

Thank you for sharing your experiences. I think that it is important that we listen to each other's experiences… We can learn a lot and begin to empathize with our fellow human beings. I think the way to solve a lot of the problems in our country is if we just listen…

I believe that people are not as bad as we think they are or seem to be.

About the fact that Tim Tebow and Colin Kaepernick are both Christians, here are two interesting articles I just read:

Colin Kaepernick and the powerful, religious act of kneeling

Colin Kaepernick vs. Tim Tebow: A tale of two Christians on their knees

On ‎9‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 11:11 AM, dominicansoul said:

Look at what happened to that lone Pittsburgh Steeler, he's had to apologize ad nauseum for loving his country!   

At the same time, while people were burning and discarding their NFL merchandise, this player's jersey instantly became the top selling jersey. 

(Although, personally, I wish he would have doubled down and not apologized, after all he is a West Point grad who served in Afghanistan, I definitely will have his back).

Edited by Norseman82