An Old School Catholic Message Board

Discerning a religious community

LilFlwr

Anyone having gone through the process of discerning a religious community did you or do you explore communities one at a time or do you or did you explore a few at the same time? I am currently in contact with one vocation directress and will talk to her and visit her community as a private "Come and See", is it okay to also see about visiting other communities now too at the same time or wait?

maturediscerner

The first time I was discerning my vocation, I was only in contact with one community.  This time, I am currently in communication with three.  I have spoken with each of the communities and have tentatively scheduled two vocation retreats.  I really don't see any issue with speaking with several at the same time. 

God Bless you in your Discernment!

1 hour ago, maturediscerner said:

The first time I was discerning my vocation, I was only in contact with one community.  This time, I am currently in communication with three.  I have spoken with each of the communities and have tentatively scheduled two vocation retreats.  I really don't see any issue with speaking with several at the same time. 

God Bless you in your Discernment!

@maturediscernerthank you and God bless you in your discernment as well!

I've spoken to a vocations director about this and really as long as you're honest and open, there's no reason to limit your discernment to only one community! 

Obviously a time will come (hopefully), when being in contact with more than one community is distracting when you clearly feel a distinctive call towards one of them more than the other.

Feel free to PM me. Blessings on your journey.