An Old School Catholic Message Board

Fios, cable, satellite, or cut cord?

Seven77

Recently, I bought an Amazon Fire stick to replace an HD cable box so that there would only be one in the living room. Then, I decided to switch to Comcast triple play ($117/mo, 100/100 internet speed) from Verizon triple play ($170/mo, 75/75 internet speed)...   the Comcast guy came and switched/installed the service today. When I called to let Verizon know to cancel their service, the lady at Verizon tried to retain me to their service--- she quoted me the price of 140 a month with 150/150 Internet speed… So now, I don't really know what to do. Yeah, I'm  indecisive like that.

So, I'm wondering what you guys do – – do you have cable, Verizon Fios, satellite dish, streaming device like Roku or Amazon fire with a bunch of apps and or sling TV, PlayStation vue? Do you even watch TV? Any suggestions for what I should do? By the way, we don't really watch all that much.

I only have internet and Fire TV with Netflix and Hulu. Combined with an antenna to get local channels, I don't miss having cable at all. I'm no longer bound by schedules. The only thing I can't get is live sports unless it's on regular TV or streaming (for example, the Packers/Bears game is streaming tonight on Amazon)--but that just gives me an excuse to visit family and friends, to watch at their house! LOL

5 minutes ago, dUSt said:

I only have internet and Fire TV with Netflix and Hulu. Combined with an antenna to get local channels, I don't miss having cable at all. I'm no longer bound by schedules. The only thing I can't get is live sports unless it's on regular TV or streaming (for example, the Packers/Bears game is streaming tonight on Amazon)--but that just gives me an excuse to visit family and friends, to watch at their house! LOL

We need landline phone service though... so I'm thinking, it will all come down to the same thing really. The live sports is always good. No need for Hulu. Streaming exclusively requires higher internet speed... The three and one deal involves only one bill.  So, actually, I think that I'm good for now.

Was just doing some research online.

Now, I think I'm faced with the decision to whether or not to go back to Verizon after just a few hours of switching from them.

I don't think you need the speed you think you need to stream.   We lost internet and cable after Irma and streamed HBO with a cell phone hotspot.  I also confirmed online 

Recording shiws is an issue and I'm thinking af looking into TiVo.  Paying over $150 mo for the three is obscene.   I just can't my wife out if it.  

26 minutes ago, Anomaly said:

I don't think you need the speed you think you need to stream.   We lost internet and cable after Irma and streamed HBO with a cell phone hotspot.  I also confirmed online 

Recording shiws is an issue and I'm thinking af looking into TiVo.  Paying over $150 mo for the three is obscene.   I just can't my wife out if it.  

Is $140 an obscene price to pay do you think?

To me, yes.   To my wife, not at all.  It depends upon how much use you get out if it.  I don't watch much TV and am happy with Amazon Prime Video, HBO, and broadcast.  If you can afford it and be generous to others, and you feel it's worth it....

The only thing I really watch on TV is sports, and even that I'm usually too busy. Trying to decide now if I want to hook up cable in my new apartment. I need to get Internet, but, I'm thinking about just signing up for sports streaming services...a little pricey, but, that's really all I watch. I'm thinking about Sling too but it's annoying because depending on what package you get I might not get an important channel like NBC.

all you need to stream videos is like three to five Mbs. maybe a little more if it's HD.

Ive never seen good cable or anything like that. if you want to watch stuff, get netflix, hulu, and any pay per video you can find. especially if you are paying over a hundred bucks for something, you probably won't exceed that if you just watch invidivual videos, unless you watch a ton. but even if you watch a ton cable doesn't do it for me cause of such limited content. higher priced cable from i can see is just higher priced croutons.

poo

On 9/28/2017 at 6:36 PM, Seven77 said:

Is $140 an obscene price to pay do you think?

I pay $50 + $10 + $8, so a total of $68/month. To me, $140 is a lot. lol

We have high speed internet, Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, and sling TV. It's perfect for us. We also have HBO now, but we are using a friend's account.

sling tv is 25 dollars a month.  one package has FS1, FS2, NBC sports and all regional sports channels for the sports fans.  I live in kansas city and get local baseball games, soccer games and national baseball games and tons of international soccer on FS1 and FS2.  

Also with sling tv you get like 25 channels such as USA, A&E, TBS, TNT, cartoon network for the kids and so on and so on.  You can also add HBO or showtime or other stuff for 5 dollars more a month per premium channel.  

Slingtv is great.  We also have a channel master DVR+ for our local channels.  Its a DVR service without a monthly fee.  You pay like $200 dollars up front for the device and extra memory and there is never a subscription fee. 

KnightofChrist

I have a Netflix or Amazon, one or the other, I share it with family. I don't even really watch it. I also got a old TV with the digital converter box. I don't watch that either. 

I read books, real physical books. A much better investment. 

9 hours ago, KnightofChrist said:

I read books, real physical books. A much better investment. 

I read books that have been turned into TV shows, so I don't have to use my stupid imagination to know what the characters look like.

On 10/2/2017 at 10:00 PM, havok579257 said:

Slingtv is great.  We also have a channel master DVR+ for our local channels.  Its a DVR service without a monthly fee.  You pay like $200 dollars up front for the device and extra memory and there is never a subscription fee. 

Doesn't sing TV have a few local channels though?

I've never heard of channel master DVR… Interesting. Can you record stuff off sling TV and free apps such as EWTN (if you use Roku or Amazon fire) on the channel master DVR? 

I need the sports channels… Is Comcast sports live local on sling TV?

1 hour ago, Seven77 said:

Doesn't sing TV have a few local channels though?

I've never heard of channel master DVR… Interesting. Can you record stuff off sling TV and free apps such as EWTN (if you use Roku or Amazon fire) on the channel master DVR? 

I need the sports channels… Is Comcast sports live local on sling TV?

slingtv has nbc and fox on demand.  if you get a regular flat antenna from the store you can get all local channels.  That will give you nbc, abc, cbs, fox, cw and probobly a total of 35 local channels.  

There is 2 options for sports on slingtv.  slingtv blue and slingtv orange.  if your look for sports slingtv blue is way to go.  other than espn you get regional sports (fox sports midwest is my area and i get my local sports.  go to this website at slingtv to see what regional sports channels you get.  just type in your zip code   http://help.sling.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/How-do-the-FOX-Regional-Sports-Networks-work), fs1 and fs2 (baseball primetime games and international and USA soccer), nbc sports, tnt (for NBA), Nfl network.  your also have to option to add nfl redzone and/or nbatv and/or nhl network and/or pac 12 network for college sports and a few more.  i think each one is like 5 dollars more.  the only thing you don't get on slingtv blue is espn but if you get slingtv orange for espn you lose all regional sports.  

channel master dvr just records shows off of regualr tv from your antenna.  channel master dvr also offers like 10 streaming channels of its own.  although slingtv offers a dvr service for only 5 dollars more a month.