An Old School Catholic Message Board

Knights of Columbus: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

dUSt

What are some of the things that are most attractive for you about the Knights of Columbus? If you are a Knight, why did you join. If you are not, why would you want to?

What are the Knights doing wrong? Are there reasons why you wouldn't join the Knights of Columbus?

Asking for a friend.

When I became Catholic in college there was a substantial KOC on campus - substantial, that is, for a smallish secular college. I never was drawn to them mostly because I wasn't drawn to the personalites and interests of most of the group members save one. I already had a group of close friends too. It may have been different if I were already Catholic at the beginning of freshman year.

Nowadays, I'm somewhere else...and I do have friends who are very involved. It just doesn't fit my personality. Nothing against it.

If I DID join it would be for some measure of male fellowship and for opportunities to perform corporal works of mercy together.

Sorry if this response isn't particularly helpful!

Edited by chrysostom

20 minutes ago, dUSt said:

What are some of the things that are most attractive for you about the Knights of Columbus? If you are a Knight, why did you join. If you are not, why would you want to?

What are the Knights doing wrong? Are there reasons why you wouldn't join the Knights of Columbus?

Asking for a friend.

Wow, I thought you been a knight since forever... lol. 

I'm a 4th degree knight but I don't really go to the meetings… The Council nearby is sadly dying out too.  I think it's a great organization that does a lot of great work. There's a lot of potential with the Knights of Columbus…

My husband is a member but doesn't participate. He's mad they won't give him insurance due to his illness. Every time he goes, someone tries to sell him some. 

1 hour ago, CatherineM said:

My husband is a member but doesn't participate. He's mad they won't give him insurance due to his illness. Every time he goes, someone tries to sell him some. 

RwZgD.gif

On 9/28/2017 at 5:40 PM, chrysostom said:

It just doesn't fit my personality. Nothing against it.

What are some of the things that don't fit your personality?

dominicansoul
On 9/28/2017 at 6:38 PM, Seven77 said:

I don't… Think they look ridiculous. That's one thing that they are doing wrong.

I looked online to see the uniforms through the ages, but I only saw the floofy plume one and the new one.  I guess those are the only uniforms they've ever had.  

The floofy plume ones or the new ones, to me they are both dignified, handsome, sharp uniforms.  The new ones will take a getting used to, but 50 years from now when they return to the floofy plume ones, people most likely will be going through the same outrage.  haha.  

KnightofChrist

Their new uniforms remind me of girl scout uniforms. Also take away the beretta and it's just a ugly business suite. If they change it back in 50 years I think the response will be "wow they actually look like knights again, not like some kind of badly dressed car salesman girl scout."

I believe the plumed hats was actually a scale down to what they originally had. I think they used to actually wear white tie and tails.

You can see it in this picture: scan-141215-0024.jpg

It appears to be a transition year, as some of them are wearing tails, and others the suit.

• 2 weeks later...
dominicansoul

Are the Knights going to have to change their name to the Knights of the Indigenous now?

Edited by dominicansoul
misspelled "indigenous."  the horror!

1 hour ago, dominicansoul said:

Are the Knights going to have to change their name to the Knights of the Indigenous now?

That would make marketing weird.