An Old School Catholic Message Board

how does one commit the 'unforgiveable sin'?

dairygirl4u2c

Mark 3:28-30: "Truly I tell you, all sins and blasphemes will be forgiven for the sons of men. But whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit will never be forgiven, but is guilty of an eternal sin."

what is the unforgiveable sin? or some examples?

is it just lack of faith in Jesus or maybe denying what you know is true about God?

I think of it as believing that there is a sin or sins that are never under any circumstances forgivable by God.  That there is a sin or sins that can never ever know, under any circumstances, The Loving Mercy of God.

I think that Jesus is speaking to the Pharisees here. They see Jesus as a man from Nazareth, a prophet, whatever they saw him as, and he understood that. He understood that people like the pharisees couldn't see things outside their little world. Even his own mother and family couldn't. Remember when they find Jesus in the temple, Mary kind of scolds Jesus, and he tells her, I had to be about my father's business. But, the difference is Mary keeps quiet and ponders everything in her heart...she knows that her little world is breaking down, that something has appeared from outside the little world of Israel. But, the pharisees don't keep quiet, they argue, they quibble, they try to trap Jesus. And he doesn't blame them, as John says, because he knows what's in mens' hearts and needs nobody to give him account of man. But, the difference with blasphemy against the Holy Spirit is the Holy Spirit speaks in the silence of the heart. Jesus understands the pharisees wanting to protect their status, their position, their authority. That's what men do. But when we step into ourselves, when the Holy Spirit speaks silently in the heart, and we respond to the Holy Spirit the way we respond to men, then how can we ever be saved? If we lie to ourselves in our hearts, then what else is there? Reminds me of Zossima in The Brothers Karamazov, he says, "Above all, don’t lie to yourself. The man who lies to himself and listens to his own lie comes to a point that he cannot distinguish the truth within him, or around him, and so loses all respect for himself and for others. And having no respect he ceases to love."

Why is blasphemy against the Holy Spirit unforgivable? How should this blasphemy be understood ? St. Thomas Aquinas replies that it is a question of a sin that is "unforgivable by its very nature, insofar as it excludes the elements through which the forgiveness of sin takes place."183

According to such an exegesis, "blasphemy" does not properly consist in offending against the Holy Spirit in words; it consists rather in the refusal to accept the salvation which God offers to man through the Holy Spirit, working through the power of the Cross. If man rejects the "convincing concerning sin" which comes from the Holy Spirit and which has the power to save, he also rejects the "coming" of the Counselor-that "coming" which was accomplished in the Paschal Mystery, in union with the redemptive power of Christ's Blood: the Blood which "purifies the conscience from dead works."

We know that the result of such a purification is the forgiveness of sins. Therefore, whoever rejects the Spirit and the Blood remains in "dead works," in sin. And the blasphemy against the Holy Spirit consists precisely in the radical refusal to accept this forgiveness, of which he is the intimate giver and which presupposes the genuine conversion which he brings about in the conscience. If Jesus says that blasphemy against the Holy Spirit cannot be forgiven either in this life or in the next, it is because this "non-forgiveness" is linked, as to its cause, to "non-repentance," in other words to the radical refusal to be converted. This means the refusal to come to the sources of Redemption, which nevertheless remain "always" open in the economy of salvation in which the mission of the Holy Spirit is accomplished. The Spirit has infinite power to draw from these sources: "he will take what is mine," Jesus said. In this way he brings to completion in human souls the work of the Redemption accomplished by Christ, and distributes its fruits. Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit, then, is the sin committed by the person who claims to have a "right" to persist in evil-in any sin at all-and who thus rejects Redemption. One closes oneself up in sin, thus making impossible one's conversion, and consequently the remission of sins, which one considers not essential or not important for one's life. This is a state of spiritual ruin, because blasphemy against the Holy Spirit does not allow one to escape from one's self-imposed imprisonment and open oneself to the divine sources of the purification of consciences and of the remission of sins.

http://w2.vatican.va/content/john-paul-ii/en/encyclicals/documents/hf_jp-ii_enc_18051986_dominum-et-vivificantem.html