An Old School Catholic Message Board

send both conjoined twins to jail for one's crime?

dairygirl4u2c

dairygirl4u2c

Suppose there is a pair of conjoined twins. Now imagine that one of these twins commits a serious crime. Following a trial and a criminal investigation, the offender twin is found guilty and sentenced to jail. The second twin, however, is cleared of any wrongdoing. How shall the legal system treat this situation?

Do you execute justice by sending the guilty twin to jail? This, however, would necessitate the imprisonment of an innocent person, thereby negating the very essence of justice.

Or, are you forced to let the guilty party walk in order to avoid the wrongful incarceration of the innocent? Would this not create a legal precedent in which conjoined twins are given carte blanche to commit crime so long as one twin can be cleared of wrongdoing?

This is a straight up ridiculous scenario--everybody knows that conjoined twins are smooth criminals who never get caught. 

Insensitivity aside (This is not meant to be insensitive) I'm picturing a Push Me Pull Me.  Yes..I want to rob a store.  No..you will not......You can take it from there......

Generally, I think that it probably would be impossible for it to happen without consent from both, because often both twins have divided control of their body, and one can't do anything without the other. As in major actions, anyway.

Edited by DaveGrey

9 hours ago, DaveGrey said:

Generally, I think that it probably would be impossible for it to happen without consent from both, because often both twins have divided control of their body, and one can't do anything without the other. As in major actions, anyway.

Welcome DaveGrey....and Let's Go Mets!!! :like2:

On 10/13/2017 at 6:50 PM, Makarioi said:

Welcome DaveGrey....and Let's Go Mets!!! :like2:

Thanks. It's nice to know that I'm not the only one left out here...

This situation may be unlikely, however, there have been many instances of DNA testing identifying two separate people...i.e. identical twins. Sometimes they are able to convict based on alibis, but occasionally they are unable to do so in instances where both twins deny charges and they have nothing else to differentiate the two.

On 10/15/2017 at 10:24 PM, dominicansoul said:

Cut them in half.  That's what king Solomon would say...

Agree.  But what if they were not conjoined anymore?