An Old School Catholic Message Board

Bad Last Week and Health

OnlySunshine

OnlySunshine

This past week, on Tuesday, I found out that I am not eligible to move into the apartment I was on the waiting list for.  My background checks came back perfect but, since it's an income restricted community, I have too much earning potential.  I did not know it was an income restricted community because they never advertised in their brochures or online so I was led to believe by the property manager that I was a perfect candidate for the apartment.  Unfortunately, they did not take initiative to check my earning potential when I reserved the apartment back in April - it wasn't done until I filled out the formal application 2 weeks ago.  When I received the call, I was incredibly and understandably distraught.  I was so angry because the apartment complex is scheduled for completion next month and I was on track to move out on my own.  Now that it's no longer an option, I'm unsure where to go from here.  This was the only apartment building that was in my budget and was a safe place. 

My mom has been incredibly supportive and told me she thinks it's for the best since I plan to go back to school next semester to finish my prerequisites for nursing school.  Nursing school itself is 14 months long if I get into my old university and complete their second degree accelerated BSN program.  My mom optioned me to stay home until I become a nurse and find a job doing what I love.  While I'm grateful, I can't help but feel stuck because I'm 34 years old and I've never lived alone.  It isn't for lack of trying or desire - it's lack of adequate housing options in my hometown.

Also, I am on the waiting list for a reputable breeder of Golden Retrievers for a planned breeding in the next month or two.  This was a dog I was planning to get when I moved into my apartment and I don't want to take my name off the list.  I spoke to my psychiatrist who I discussed getting an emotional support dog and she was on board.  This is a dog that would provide specific companionship for my mental illnesses.  She wrote a letter for a future landlord, as well.  After the apartment fell thru, I asked my mom if she would allow me to get the dog even though I am not moving out.  She is on board but my dad, at this point, is not because we already have a dog at home.  However, this dog - while I love her - actually heightens my anxiety because she barks so much and I have misophonia (sensitivity to certain noises).  Having a dog that will calm me down would be beneficial and I would love to train the dog to perform tasks - even though it won't be a service dog.  Please say some prayers I can convince my dad to allow me to have the dog at home.  I'm meeting with my therapist on Wednesday and plan to wait until then so she can give me some helpful tips on how to calmly explain my reasoning.

Edited by OnlySunshine