An Old School Catholic Message Board

And now Torches are symbols of Hatred

dominicansoul

dominicansoul

The mind control from the left continues.  This is what I've been speaking about and it will only get worse:

http://www.statesman.com/news/local/alumni-group-cancels-torchlight-portion-rally-ahead-game/9LMA0ZHHSN7ppAJYs2vaLL/

UT cancels torchlight portion of rally ahead of Oklahoma game

METRO-STATE

By Ralph K.M. Haurwitz - American-Statesman Staff

Posted: 3:06 p.m. Tuesday, October 10, 2017

image.png.26ac973b5ed7bd5764d25938dfde74b5.png

A pep rally at the Main Mall, just south of the Tower, will include remarks by coach Tom Herman and players.

The torchlight parades had no racial overtones, but events at Charlottesville prompted the cancellation.

A traditional torchlight parade in advance of Saturday’s University of Texas football game against the University of Oklahoma has been canceled this year and for the foreseeable future as a result of violence in Charlottesville, Va.

However, students, alumni and others will still walk to the Main Mall just south of the UT Tower, where a pep rally Wednesday evening will include remarks by coach Tom Herman and football players.

Officials of the Texas Exes, the alumni association at UT and the event’s sponsor, said Tuesday that, although the torchlight parade has nothing to do with race, they want to be sensitive to students and other members of the campus community.

“We didn’t think it was wise to have people carrying tiki torches in light of the events at Charlottesville,” said Dorothy Guerrero, a spokeswoman for the Exes. “We want this to be a positive event. We want everyone to feel included and welcomed.”

In August, white nationalists and white supremacists marched with torches across the University of Virginia campus in Charlottesville. That touched off chaos resulting in the death of a counter protester.

UT spokesman J.B. Bird said, “The university supports the Exes in their efforts to create a welcoming, inclusive event.”

Last year’s torchlight parade and rally were the 30th annual installment of the event in the run-up to the Red River Rivalry, played at the Cotton Bowl in Dallas. Some sort of rally, however, dates to 1916. The Texas Exes, formally known as the Ex-Students’ Association of the University of Texas, is an independent nonprofit organization.

It remains to be seen if the cancellation of the torchlight parade is permanent.

“For the foreseeable future, I doubt we’ll be doing the torchlight portion of the event,” Guerrero said.

:blink:  

Here we go again…

Nobody called for this not to take place. The school made its own decision. Also, as some (white supremacists)  in the past used torches to incite hatred on that very campus, it's not strange or crazy for the school to make such a decision.

dominicansoul

I think its very strange and very crazy.  They didn't even consult the group that hosts this 101 year tradition.

dairygirl4u2c

it all goes back to the pitch forks and mob crowds of olden days. they are taking the stereotype too far, but it's not unheard of. 

dominicansoul

This is exactly what I've been talking about, ludicrous knee jerk reactions that affect everyone. 

Some of the responses have been pretty hilarious, though.  

One person wrote this in the Austin American Statesman:  "Do we have to neutralize all our traditions over a handful of triggered "victims?" To where one responded, "You mean neuter our traditions is more like it."    

Another wrote:  "I'm glad they're cancelling it. All the torch people are racist. I think every white person who graduated from UT should stay away. Keep your white privledge and racism at home. The game should only have immigrant minority players. All the white privilege players should stay home. With the white privledged coach. Just go,away white people. Don't even comment on this, you racist privledgist."  

:blink: hope that one was being sarcastic, lol.  

This wasn't even an ISSUE until the liberal wackos in the Texas Exes got a hold of it.  *sigh*  Such stupid poo...I thought I would enjoy the Red River rivalry torchlight parade this weekend, now it's just one big stupid lousy political statement...I wonder if I pulled out a flashlight they'd arrest me?  

14 minutes ago, dominicansoul said:

One person wrote this in the Austin American Statesman:  "Do we have to neutralize all our traditions over a handful of triggered "victims?" To where one responded, "You mean neuter our traditions is more like it."   

See, that's the problem. Putting the word victim in quotes as if there are no victims, that there were no victims in Charlottesville. It's a denial of the problem and that keeps perpetuating it.

At the very least, can we acknowledge that there is a problem. Perhaps we disagree on how to bring attention to it or how to solve it.

Just yesterday, I saw video of a kid being beaten with sticks at the Charlottesville incident.

dominicansoul

See, that's the problem.  A 100 year torchlight parade celebrating a  football game in Texas has NOTHING to do with what happened in Charlottesville!  Some of the Texas Wranglers (the group that usually holds the torches) are now upset that they are being compared to the KKK.

I am acknowledging a problem, the problem of the overly sensitive liberal who take it upon themselves to change things to fit their own ludicrous knee jerk reactions.  They don't even ask for the majority's opinion, because they know best for everyone else.  And it does affect a greater majority, whether they wanted it or not...

5 minutes ago, dominicansoul said:

See, that's the problem.  A 100 year torchlight parade celebrating a  football game in Texas has NOTHING to do with what happened in Charlottesville!  Some of the Texas Wranglers (the group that usually holds the torches) are now upset that they are being compared to the KKK.

I am acknowledging a problem, the problem of the overly sensitive liberal who take it upon themselves to change things to fit their own ludicrous knee jerk reactions.  They don't even ask for the majority's opinion, because they know best for everyone else.  And it does affect a greater majority, whether they wanted it or not...

Again, it's not about being "overly sensitive." That is yet another denial of the problem of racism. Like  People are getting worked up about nothing, nothing at all.

Nobody said that, not in that particular article, that the torchlight parade will not happen because the torchlight parade is racist or that the players are racist. From my reading of the article, they are not canceling the parade because they think that it is inherently racist.

Was the school pressured into doing this? It didn't seem so to me.

And the topic title makes me laugh. Torches have been a symbol of hatred. Haven't you ever seen Frankenstein? lol. 

During the 19th and 20th centuries, the Columbus holiday was often considered a celebration for Italian-Americans and Catholics. Churches and organizations such as the Knights of Columbus

haters (at the time) used Columbus Day to publicly condemn Catholics and the Italian heritage and strongly opposed the holiday.  

Edited by little2add

dominicansoul

yup, add Columbus Day cancellation to the list of "liberals gone stark raving mad"

I had to laugh at how some changed it to "indegenous peoples day" as if indegenous people NEVER raped, murdered, pillaged for land conquest themselves...

I hear anti-catholic rhetoric all the time on TV or News shows etc. but no one seams to care or protest? (Or object) 

Kind of a double standard.  If you ask me

Edited by little2add

dominicansoul

There are a lot of double standards.  Take the entire Harvey Weinstein sexual predator crisis.  We have celebrities coming out saying they knew all along this guy was doing this thing and never said a word.

Is Hollywood going to do a "Spotlight" type movie on how they cover up their own sexual predators?  I highly doubt it!

That's why I scoff when liberals try so hard not to offend people.  Yeah, right.. What's in it for them?  Total control freaks, that's what it all comes down to.  "Now children, no more torches, they are racist symbols of hatred and murder."  "No more raw cotton displays cos you know, only poor black picked cotton."  "NO, you can't wear a sombrero if you're a white boy, cos that's RACIST."  

Oh but piss on the American Flag and the left just LOVES you, regardless of who that offends!  

Hypocrites the whole lot of them! 

16 minutes ago, dominicansoul said:

There are a lot of double standards.  Take the entire Harvey Weinstein sexual predator crisis.  We have celebrities coming out saying they knew all along this guy was doing this thing and never said a word.

Is Hollywood going to do a "Spotlight" type movie on how they cover up their own sexual predators?  I highly doubt it!

That's why I scoff when liberals try so hard not to offend people.  Yeah, right.. What's in it for them?  Total control freaks, that's what it all comes down to.  "Now children, no more torches, they are racist symbols of hatred and murder."  "No more raw cotton displays cos you know, only poor black picked cotton."  "NO, you can't wear a sombrero if you're a white boy, cos that's RACIST."  

Oh but piss on the American Flag and the left just LOVES you, regardless of who that offends!  

Hypocrites the whole lot of them! 

who pissed on the american flag?

hypocrites?  you mean like the conservatives who are bashing liberals about Harvey Weinstein but didn't condemn Trump for his actions?  Trump got a pass from conservatives.  Same as Bill Clinton got a pass from liberals.  Or Bill O'Reily gets a pass but conservatives go after Hilary and Obama for not making a comment about Harvey Weinstein.  At the end of the day conservatives and liberals give a pass to their side and condemn the other side.  Always happens.  The more and more I see, the only rational people in these debates are the moderates.  They will condemn both sides.  Problem is there are not many moderates left.  

Maybe all people should take a step back and follow the bishops of America when it comes to american politics.  I have seen the bishops condemn both sides as wrong and praised both sides as being right.  They adhere to principal and not to political ideology.

dominicansoul

You're right Havok.  Pisses me off that conservatives weren't more condemning toward Trump's locker room talk.  There isn't any proof (unless you have personal evidence) of Trump actually committing the actions he boyishly brags about.  Hollywood had plenty of proof about Weinstein's actions.   I think that might be where the two cases are different.

I wanted a real conservative to win the presidency.  But I think God allowed Trump to win, because God can use an ass like Trump for the greater good.  And Trump already has done some good in areas that really needed change.

Too often than not liberals really want to hurt the groups they hate.  It's their way or the highway.  Take the Birth Control mandate.  Was that really necessary??? Forcing religious peoples to do something they are morally against?  I don't really see conservatives doing this kind of thing...unless you can remind me of something of this nature that conservatives do???  all I ever see is conservatives enforcing laws that people really really hate, like immigration laws.  Then they are called racists for doing so.  

But you're right, there are hypocrites on both sides, I agree.  Take that republican "pro-lifer" who got caught asking his mistress to have an abortion.  He acted like a liberal in that instance.  

Seven, UT-Austin is a very liberal school.  If none of the authorities at that school are reacting to this decision, that's why.  IT's the rest of us nobodies that wanted to enjoy a family event that see how ridiculous it is.  Are the politically correct going to try and succk the fun out of all our past times and traditions?  I really hope this croutons stops...

Edited by dominicansoul