An Old School Catholic Message Board

BDUs: Can Civilians Wear Them?

DaveGrey

I'm asking you guys because I honestly trust you people more than the nuts on Reddit. :|

Do you think that it's OK for civilians (in the United States) to wear parts of a military uniform in public? I just bought a set of BDUs from a surplus store a couple of days ago, and it's beginning to weigh on my conscience.

And what I mean by a military uniform is: Just the pantaloons and shirt with no specific military insignia. Maybe an American flag on the shoulder, and that's it.

My usage of it would probably not consist of the full thing, 24/7. I would sometimes wear the jacket as a jacket, on cold or rainy days. And the pantaloons? Maybe on a hike or something, and as part of a Halloween costume (yes, I still do that, but just because I'm the oldest doesn't mean I have to be a boring teenager).

Just for reference, I'm going to share my current opinion on the matter (though it may be changed by a brilliant answer from one of you). I think that wearing parts of a surplus uniform is fine, and that it is not disrespectful. I find BDUs to be rather practical as clothing, and I personally like the way they look. When someone starts wearing specific insignia from any branch, even as much as a "US ARMY" or "US MARINES" tape on the chest, it is essentially lying. You are starting to claim that you are someone that you are not.

It's fine, but I do have a few observations about the practice.

Using the trousers is the most practical and accepted, you can wear them an casual attire and for utility purposes and still not look like you are a 10 year old playing Army or going to an airsoft match. You wont wont offend any active duty people or veterans. 

Using the top alone is a bit odd, it's not quite a shirt and it's not quite a jacket, but I suppose if you are into wearing it you can pull it off. You typically wont offend any active duty or vets, they may look at you weird though.

Using the tops and bottoms together is odd, one tends to look like a 10 year old playing Army in his case unless your doing some type of outdoorsy activity or the circumstances call for it like as a costume. If you don this ensemble in public you may attract unwanted attention. Most active duty/vets won't care but you open yourself up to potential confrontation and explaining yourself repeatedly.

Stay away from insignia or emblems, and never in any circumstances use any devices or articles of dress/service uniforms. 

Edited by Maximilianus
grammar