An Old School Catholic Message Board

Secular Music: The Good, the Bad, and the UGLY

DaveGrey

So, I was talking to a friend of mine a couple of days ago about music. She said that she had quit listening to most secular music, because it was making her sick of the world. I'm not quite at that stage, but I want to take a different approach. I know that there is decent secular music out there, and I want to find it. Of course, Christian music is good, too. I listen to that. But there is still good to be found outside of it. Which is why I want your help in creating a collection of secular songs that either are just plain silly and not morally questionable, or songs that have a degree of truth in them that is surprising compared to other songs.

To start out, I'm going to find some good songs I already am familiar with, and hope someone takes it up from there.

This song is slightly edgy, but its lyrics are rather intriguing:

And just because I'm also looking for good Christian music, I'm posting one of my favorite songs of that genre:

I'm liking everything except that last song... I mean, I guess I did name it the good, the bad, and the ugly, so you can post a few songs that aren't so good.

this song is popular among the hipster crowd. an instrumental. but it has a out of this world feel to it. even a feel that makes me feel like ive heard it before in a past life. perhaps reincarnation type thinking and such are not welcomed here too. but it's still a great song. 

this is another instrumental. it's a secular band, but the music is timeless. and the video for the song is especially relevant in today's stressed nuclear world. it's i think s'pose to send a message about the travesty of it all. 

On the bluegrass end of the spectrum, I like anything by The Carter Family, Flatt & Scruggs, Bill Monroe, Ralph Stanley, Doc Watson, Merle Travis, The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, Emmylou Harris, Ricky Skaggs, the Whites (a father & two daughters - Skaggs is married to one of the daughters), or Alison Krauss (with our without Union Station). Once you get introduced to any of them, they'll lead you to the others. (Most people don't like the original Carter Family recordings because they're from the 1920's-1930's and the sound is pretty primitive. But a lot of people cover their songs using newer technology for a better sound.) 

In terms of topics, there are some cheatin' songs, but most of it's pretty clean stuff - a lot of it's gospel.

Here's a sample of The Carter Family - A.P singing baritone, his wife Sarah singing lead, and Sarah's cousin Maybelle playing guitar & singing high harmony on "The Cannonball Blues." 

• 2 weeks later...